need help identifying busted radiator hose

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I picked up a 92' with the 7.3 IDI a few months ago, and it's been an adventure... my first truck and diesel to boot -- fun truck to drive but it's taken quite a bit of work so far to get it back up to *****.

The latest thing is a busted rubber hose that was spewing coolant as I was (thankfully) pulling into my driveway at home after a 1000 mile road trip. I'm not very familiar with the 7.3 IDI yet, and I'm having a hard time identifying the hose to order the correct replacement. The hose comes of a tee coupler and is clamped to the the passenger side of the block, as well as the firewall.

Because of the tee junction, I'm not sure if I can just replace the hoses with a piece of rubber of the same length, or if I'll need to replace the entire assembly.

I've attached a picture, my broken hose is the one that's branching right off the tee (circled in the picture), and marked with an X. Can anyone tell me what the hose is and what's it's for? I'm really puzzled that it's clamped to the firewall. Only thing I can think if is the heater?

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Here's a shot of the truck... man, can't wait to get that camper top painted! :)

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, that's to the heater core.
The base of the t ( l not -) should go to the radiator, iirc.
You may just have to get enough hose to redo the whole thing, a brass t and 6 hose clamps. Going off memory, but I think it's all 5/8's inch.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. That hose going to the bottom of the radiator is not necessary. Its there because the factory felt the auto trans needed to warm up faster. So this hose allows hotter coolant to bypass the radiator and warm up the trans fluid faster. We have not found a real need for this ever. Both of the hoses from the firewall are 5/8 inch. Also they are incorrectly routed. The hose going over the alternator is supposed to be the hot coolant leaving the head port. The hose with the Tee in it is supposed to be the return over the alternator and to the bottom of the radiator. I really don't see how your getting coolant to the heater core at the firewall. Now at the bottom of the radiator you will find the 5/8th inch hose fitting reduced to about 1/8 inch of flow of coolant. So just get a pipe plug and stick it in that opening when you remove it. If the coolaing system is closed and the radiator cap left on the radiator you wont loose much coolant when you remove the plug. Or simply drain the radiator and refill it after the hose replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online