Need Help, Fuel Leak

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started my truck to warm up and went inside. Came out and saw fuel dripping
on the ground. On the top of the fuel filter bracket there is a small black
cap or plug with one wire comming out of it. Fuel is leaking from under this plug. Does this plug come off? How can I fix this leak. It's loosing alot of fuel and dripping on the exhaust manafold.

Thanks
Randy

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
This is probably fuel leaking around the fuel heater which is housed inside the filter head. I believe you can get an oring for this and fix it, prolly a Ford or IH item.

RGMS4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Guess I will see what Furd wants for it.
When I get this fixed, she's going up FOR SALE!

Randy

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The part is an IH only part. tell em it's the o-ring for the fuel heater element on a van or a U-haul truck either will work. Ford only carries the entire heater assembly for about 150 clams.;Sweet

To take it out you have to remove the fuel filter and then there is a brass fitting(nipple) that the filter mounts to. I cant remmber right off hand what size wrench it takes, but the brass nipple will turn off and allow the eater plate assembly to drop down to access the o-ring.

pwrdbyidi

Reaction score
The nipple is 1 1/4". Any idea what the IH part # is for the heater?

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Check the integral fuel heater thread from today. Your part numbers from IH are in that thread. O ring and the fuel heater assembly.

Brass plug that holds the heater in place that the filter screws onto does take a big socket. It was the largest one I had in my deep well metric set--can't recall the size.

Good luck.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this info pertain also the 6.9 fuel heater as well? I'm having problems with air in the fuel system as well.