Need help fixing a fuel leak.

94IDIT

Reaction score
My '90 7.3 has been starting hard latley. So the other day I looked underneath the truck while it was running and saw fuel leaking on the ground, this wasn't a slow drip either, it was coming down pretty quick. No stream or anything but it was pretty bad:puke: so I crawled under it and the drips are coming off of the bottom of the lift pump, between where the lines go in. I looked up higher on the engine but the leak didn't seem to be coming from any where above there. The lines going into the lift pump don't seem to be the culprits either. My questions are, where do I start looking when tracking down a leak like this? What are the most common causes for fuel leaks on these rigs in general? Thanks in advance for your help!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What your seeing is a fuel leak from the pump weep hole. This is the diesgn so you can see a leak and so the fuel does not travel into the oil pan. If diesel fuel dilutes your oil it destroys the engine bearings. So its time for a new lift pump. Make sure you understand to get the arm up on top of the cam loge or the new pump will become damaged and not work.

94IDIT

Reaction score
What your seeing is a fuel leak from the pump weep hole. This is the diesgn so you can see a leak and so the fuel does not travel into the oil pan. If diesel fuel dilutes your oil it destroys the engine bearings. So its time for a new lift pump. Make sure you understand to get the arm up on top of the cam loge or the new pump will become damaged and not work.

Thank you! I didn't even know they had a weep hole in them. My whole line of thought was that there was no way the pump itself would be leaking, but I'm kind of a newb so my thoughts don't always count for much:rotflmao. I apreciate your help.