need help asap

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me will an injector pump from an early "stroke" work on my 89?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially since an early powerstroke (nor a later one) doesn't have an injection pump.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when they changed to "stroke" it wasn't just the elec. injectors & adding ecm? I don't know much about newer 7.3. Son's friend says he had 'stroke pump he would sell me. Thanx for everybody's help!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A very simplified explanation; The older engines "pump" was actually 8 little pumps, one for each cylinder, made into one "pump" unit. The injectors are nothing more than a spring and a nozzle.

The electronic engines "pump" is just that, one pump. It's only job is to pressure a common fuel rail. The injectors on the later engines are actually valves that that admit the fuel into the cylinder by a electric signal.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So he either does not have a stroke or knows even less about them than I do. LOL!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
So when they changed to "stroke" it wasn't just the elec. injectors & adding ecm? I don't know much about newer 7.3. Son's friend says he had 'stroke pump he would sell me. Thanx for everybody's help!!

There are zero engine parts that are the same on the engines.Nothing will interchange period.They have as much in common with each other as a briggs and stratton and a Pratt and whitney.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL!!! Plugs & wires won't do any good unless he gives me a new cap & rotor too. Just read Freight Train's post. "Stroke" even uses different intake & heads? Like I said, I really don't know alot about them. I've dealt with some electrical issues on early ones. That's about all I've done with them

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are zero engine parts that are the same on the engines.Nothing will interchange period.They have as much in common with each other as a briggs and stratton and a Pratt and whitney.

Well, the motor mounts sure look similar. And I have a PSD glowplug relay on mine. Maybe the oil drain plugs are interchangeable? For that matter, a PSD oil filter certainly works on an IDI. But for all practical purposes, the engines are night and day difference.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
LOL!!! Plugs & wires won't do any good unless he gives me a new cap & rotor too. Just read Freight Train's post. "Stroke" even uses different intake & heads? Like I said, I really don't know alot about them. I've dealt with some electrical issues on early ones. That's about all I've done with them

Yea,They are 100% different engines.Block,Crank,Pistons,Rods,Cam,Heads, injectors,Intake,Exhaust,Valvecovers,oil pan,turbo,.................