Need advice...fast

jesully

Reaction score
looking to go buy an 07 4x4 cummins with 5.9 tomarrow. the problem is that im new to the diesel world and dont know about the automatic transmission that it comes with. Would like some input good or bad about this truck and trans combo. Really just buying to pull my 8000 pound travel trailer. any input would be greatly appreciated....truck has 44k miles on it

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well either way it should hold up quite well the motors are solid and any auto trans will only take so much power so if your gona basicly keep it stock it should be good, i just recently built a 98.5 5.9 with 280hp injectors, a FASS pump, performance vp44 injection pump, ats 3 peice manifold, and a silver bullet 66 turbo from II a auto trans with just a valve body in it it tore the input shaft so we had the whole thing rebuilt with buillet shafts.

jesully

Reaction score
plan on putting mild mods such as air intake and exhaust and hopefully a programer for some fuel economy..hoping not to get too carried away because its too easy to with all the stuff available for diesels

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think you would be fine just keep an eye on the trans fluid maby switch out the fluid in it with royal purple syn atf, and maby a deep pan and better trans cooler to keep it cool, heat in an auto trans is not the best thing lol

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a solid truck. I would recomend checking the transmission fluid and figure on servicing it when you get it. Make sure who ever services also check to make sure the second gear band clearance is in spec. I recommend using stock mopar ATF+4. It is a full sythetic trans oil and is what the trans is designed to use.

Like anything else you take care of it and it will take care of you.

jesully

Reaction score
yes...i bought it and i love it...gotta change the oil this week in it....rotella is the oil of choice around here with everybody i talked too so i guess ill go with that....probably get the trans serviced next week...still not sure about the four speed auto but maybe its just cause ive never drove an auto diesel before??????

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines got the same tranny and same motor. the auto in 07 is not the same as the earlier ones that had all the problems. supposedly they fixed the weak links in these trannys. youll be fine with a tuner and air intake but like any vehicle you go past that and your on your own.
i love mine too but the wife made me get a auto...wish it was a stick. ohh well my little wife looks pretty **** in a big truck. so i quess the auto was worth it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7