Navistar 6.9L boost limits.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly am not too concerned with 'absolute power', if I was, I could swap in an old Cummins v12 with triple 14-71 double-helix huffers on it; making enough power to pull the Statue of Liberty down. :LOL:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's quite good, but it's nowhere near what you can get out of a modern engine. Still a labor of love kind of project. Nothing wrong with it, it doesn't need to be justified :p

I should have worded it a lil better but you are right about a modified modern engine. They can't compare in that way. But it is definitely feasible to hit modem diesel type numbers with a lil love. And yeah is always fun to push the limits. :D

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've never undertaken any 'turbo' project before, so I have no real experience to bandy about, but what I've sorta been mulling over in my noodle the last few days has been BOTH, a compound AND parallel turbo set-up. Maybe twins in parallel and then one slightly larger one taking the exhaust inputs from the parallels.

I haven't seen a setup like that but it could be done I'm sure. I have seen Cummins guys do triples with a smaller turbo fed from all cylinders and then split the exhaust off to two of the same sized turbos. With a setup like that they pretty much have two medium sized turbos pushing the the cfm that a bigger turbo turbo would in compounds. Anyway your idea would be similar to that but just opposite.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@88 I'm actually sorta toying with a very similar set-up to what I mentioned, but applied to an F800 Tow-monster rig I'm thinking about with a 7.8 Brazilian. Though on that, I'd be more concerned with more long-term durability, maybe something with a total of SIX turbos, but all rigged to adjustable waste-gates, so when towing, I could dial up the boost to get the 'unloaded feel' while towing, then dialed down when not. I'm thinking of it as a delivery tow rig, where I drive out with a package, like a trailer, then return dead-head. Yeah, three parallels, then two in compound and in parallel to each~other, then another single in the compound trailing the other five. I'm thinking that I'd run the beast to about 80-85% of the ABSOLUTE boost max while towing, then drop to a factory type number when unloaded.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ 88, Though if I can't make that work, I'm thinking of a 3406 Cat, probably around 425-475BHP powering that F800. :sly :D LOL

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I have said in many other threads that my tdi has convinced me that if I were to go for a custom turbo setup I would never try to cram 2 much less 3 turbos in an engine bay but rather go with one vgt turbo that can function the same as those 2 or 3

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to knock those talking about Single turbos and that; not to start anything, but it's not your project, so your opinions on why I shouldn't do it aren't really valid. I'm more asking for some guidance from some of the guys here that might provide some insight as-to how I could accomplish my goals, maybe with part numbers and the like. ;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Once you go to a setup like that, there are no part numbers. Just a welder, chop saw, and patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Jasper, I meant part numbers like what what brand/model of turbo, and the type/brand of wastegate, and the pieces I would be fitting together to make my system work.