N2O

MoNos

Reaction score
so is anyone on here running n20 on their truck? If so how much? What is the size of jet your using?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nitros doesn't have as much of an effect on diesels as compared to propane. Check out the tech articles or do a search. be prepared for some extensive reading.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell us how much HP/TQ you are looking for, what the truck will be used for and what mods you currently have done to the truck and we can suggest some things to help you get there. NOS may or may not be one of the things the members here give as one of the suggestions, but we need some info from you first.

rubberfish

Reaction score
nitros doesn't have as much of an effect on diesels as compared to propane.
cookoo cookoo You been smoking dope again?
You can achieve three times as much with nitrous.
You won't hear people refer to propane as a liquid turbo. ;Really

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
;Sweet To make nitrous effective you will need more fuel than you have now. You will need injectors and a good tuned chip. Then you can start hitting it with the nitrous, how much depends on how brave you are.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my rig is in the sig
Youve got ALOT to do before you need to worry about NOS.
  • Bigger injectors
  • Turbo upgrade
  • Intercooler
  • Fuel system
  • HPO upgrades
  • Head studs
  • Better tuning
  • Tranny upgrades (alot more than ATS)
  • (I dont even see gauges in your sig?)

Again, give us an idea of what you are shooting for and what you are going to use the truck for.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Unless you already own a kit, I wouldn't buy
one yet. There's a ton of untapped power in
your rig still. If you do happen to already own
a kit, I would start with somewhere between
an .037 and a .042 You can always add more
later, but it's hard to undo damage from too
much. Nitrous requires lots of fuel. If you floor
it and it stays black for the whole 1/4 mile,
not just a cute little puff when you start,
then you have enough fuel to be able to
get the most out of your kit.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nitrous can make lots of power on a diesel, but at a pretty severe cost concerning dependability. The local dyno shop here in Vancouver does a Diesel Day about once a year and there are several nitrous powered trucks making some pretty big numbers. I got to see a Duramax put down a 1000+ HP dyno pull using nitrous. I got to see the same truck come apart several months later. When I say come apart, I don't mean a tear down for rebuild: the block was in several different pieces. Squeezing a motor IMHO is only a good power adder when you can afford the risk of catastropic failure. For what it's worth, my Pinto goes 10s without nitrous. I get beat by cars on nitrous all the time but my car always drives itself onto the trailer at the end of the night.

JMF350

Reaction score
Isn't nitrous ALOT different on deisel compared to a gas engine? I know what is added on gas with nitrous.... more fuel is added due to the nitrous cooling the incoming air.... more cool air, more fuel needed. With deisel, it's shot in dry, meaning nitrous alone, injectors adding more fuel. The nitrous is used as an incoming air cooler, sorta like another, more efficient intercooler. From what I was always told, if you are going to add N2O and propane, but can only afford one system at a time, add the N2O. You can't lean out a deisel either. N2O is not a flamable gas.... propane is. Just my .02

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Isn't nitrous ALOT different on deisel compared to a gas engine? I know what is added on gas with nitrous.... more fuel is added due to the nitrous cooling the incoming air.... more cool air, more fuel needed. With deisel, it's shot in dry, meaning nitrous alone, injectors adding more fuel. The nitrous is used as an incoming air cooler, sorta like another, more efficient intercooler. From what I was always told, if you are going to add N2O and propane, but can only afford one system at a time, add the N2O. You can't lean out a deisel either. N2O is not a flamable gas.... propane is. Just my .02

It actually adds oxygen to the mix, allowing more complete fuel burn. The N2 and O separate with N2 being exhausted and the O being used to assist in fuel burn. On a gasser, the "kit" adds raw fuel along with the N20, offsetting the need for more fuel. On a diesel, that would cause a runaway as the throttle doesn't control air intake. How nitrous is used on a gasser is often times the cause of catastrophic failure as well, most "new" to nitrous always want to go the biggest and baddest they can, without regard to needing extra fuel, etc. A lean engine on Nitrous (which leans it out even more) is what causes failures, heat, seizing at high RPM, etc. are all problems associated with it's use. In a gasser running any Nitrous at all, it is imperative to have a fuel pump capable of producing enough fuel to cover the extra fuel added on dumping the Nitrous. I have run it on several gas engines with good longevity, but then again, I have always been conservative. We once melted down a Kawasaki 1100 with it, but the guy that owned it just kept adding more. They were dumping a 2 lb. bottle in a quarter mile and we were building motors every month or so in the machine shop, but the bike was REAL fast, won it's class many times and a couple of titles along the way. The guy that drove it was nuts to begin with, so pressing the button with the biggest jet possible didn't bother him. I once drove a late 70's Vega with a 427 and a Pro Shot Fogger two stage system, was my first and last experience with slipping tires over 100 MPH. The guy that normally drove it with a small block, non-Nitrous wouldn't drive it, I was young and stupid!!! ;Sweet

MoNos

Reaction score
no one has answered me on what size jet they use? I put together a kit for my truck and just stuck a 52 jet in it. I could feel a difference but not a huge one.

I'm proficient w/ n2o. I have a 57 jet in my Lincoln. My '94 Lincoln Mark VIII runs mid to low 12s on that shot (w/ NANO http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.628522/it.I/id.10/.f )
here's a video.. http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g135/stanger05/?action=view&current=9912d109.flv

So now that I've gone waaaay of the topic. I know how n2o works (VERY MUCH SO in GASOLINE WORLD), I just want to know what works best for a diesel.

rubberfish

Reaction score
no one has answered me on what size jet they use?
What about the numbers I suggested?
You think I just pulled those out of my ass?
Your already running a larger jet then that
and not happy with the results. So.... you can
shove in a bigger jet,,,, or do what the boys
are suggesting and get the required amount
of diesel fuel first. Then add more nitrous.

"That" is how nitrous "works best for a diesel".

MoNos

Reaction score
well a 52 jet is "supposedly" around a "50shot"

"Using just a size 51 nitrous jet, switching on the bottle produced an increase of an additional 50-horsepower" - http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/nitrous.htm

I know that they put a 70 shot on a STOCK 7.3 powerstroke in DIESELPOWER (MAY 2006 issue, page 148) They said that on a truck w/ intake exhaust and a chip/programmer you could run a bigger shot. - How much of a bigger shot? and what is the jet size? cause a 52 jet in gasoline world is roughly a 100shot.