N/A exhaust

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
right now my truck has true 2 1/4" duals and it cackles to much, plus it is starting to rot out around the glasspacks.

come spring time id like to re-do the exhaust. i was thinking of having 2 1/2" off the manifolds into a real y pipe (not like the factory T or autojet or Walker kit) into straight 4".

my question is, would 2 1/2" off the manifolds be to much? reason im going 4" on back is when i do eventually turbo it'll all be there and ready to go with some fabbing. ill probably have an exhaust place make the y pipe off the manifolds and just use some straight 4" from napa and a 4" tail pipe from Napa.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
my truck has the Banks Stinger kit which includes the 2 1/2" y pipe. stock is 2 1/4" i think.

the rest of the pipe is 3" or 3 1/2" i'm not sure. it has a big muffler on it. sounds good.

4" would sound good too. i think there would be less cackle from the bigger pipe.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
That would work.;Sweet
Although running 4" with no muffler does get a bit loud without some muffling.
Turbos do help that.:D

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had true duals on my '85 NA truck. Dug around in the junkyard and found a flowmaster "big block" 3 chamber that was 2 in 1 out. Not loud but sounded tough when you got on it. Might be an option if you dont feel like totally re-doing the system.

Last edited:

JohnBoy1

Reaction score
I run a 2.5 y going t a 5inch single stack and it sounds like a old tractor at idle and cackles just a little anywhere above 2,300rpms.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the factory T pipe into a 3.5inch Walker BTM then a 4inch napa tail pipe with a 5inch magnaflow tip. It sounds like a big block pretty much. I like the way it sounds, its not really crackly or anything. Its pretty loud outside, but in the cab its not bad. I can try and post a sound clip if your interested.

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
I have the factory y-pipe & where they meet it goes to 3" with a Magnaflow round (the shorter one). It sounds really nice at idle & not too loud at highway speeds. It's not too noisy inside and my vans inside is open except for shelves on each side.

JohnBoy1

Reaction score
A soundclip would be great, i have been thinking of ditching the stack since its right behind my head.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
thanx guys, noise isnt an issue as its more of a toy/ocasional driver. ya know, maybe take it work once or twice a week (20 miles round trip) or messin around town. and the interior noise cant be as bad as my 300 with headers, no cats and a small magnaflow muffler.

tractorman86

Reaction score
optikal, sounds like you have a good plan, i would run with it. i think it'd sound pretty bad a$$ strait piped

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I too think you have a good plan. The true Y can be purchased, though I'm not sure which company makes it, I can try to find out for you though. I have the true Y into a 4" through a cheapy Magnaflow knock off, with no tailpipe yet. I love the sound of it. I had just a 3" Flowmaster before with no tail and it sounded sweet as well.
If you are going to do a tailpipe, the cheapest I found was around 60 bucks, for a factory 4" from a newer Ford.