My *** moment of the day...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I have seen several F-250s with Dana 70 rears, both with Dana 44 and Dana 50 TTB. Pretty sure all were either the 6.9, 400 or 460 varient. I know the axle my friend got his 70s from was an 84 or 85 F-250 with a 460. The front was standard right hand thread lug. I remember this because we had a helluva time breaking the rear tire loose before we ruined two studs lol.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came from the factory with a Dana 60 with the left handed lug nuts on the rear wheel only.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
It was just the driers side rear. In theory is was so the lug nut would not loosen when driving. As soon as they went to the sterling axle, they went back to right hand threads

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 79' F350 srw 2wd 460 truck with a 70 rear and left handed threads on the drivers side rear only. It confused me back then when I first saw it too.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 84 F250 had a sterling and it also had left hand threads on just the drivers side rear wheel. It was fun finding new lugnuts when I put aluminum rims on it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very common practice "back in the day". When I upgraded the Moosestang to 8 lug, I left the left hand thread nuts on there for old time's sake. But the Moose Truck was converted to right hand studs the first year I had it. Too hard to get aftermarket wheels/lug nuts in left hand thread then.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Centrifugal forces of the wheel spinning forward will tend to back out right hand threads on the drivers side. Vice versa on the passenger side.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Centrifugal forces of the wheel spinning forward will tend to back out right hand threads on the drivers side. Vice versa on the passenger side.

What he said.

Just loosen the drivers side lug nut and go for a ride. That tire will fall off in less that 100 miles.

Do the same thing to the passenger side. You will be fine

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 84 F250 4x4 gasser had the same deal. I had a hell of a time trying to get the driver side rear tire off until I figured it out!LOL

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
My old 84 F250 had a sterling and it also had left hand threads on just the drivers side rear wheel. It was fun finding new lugnuts when I put aluminum rims on it.

Why does one need different lug nuts for alluminum rims? regarding the left hand thread LR wheel

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Why does one need different lug nuts for alluminum rims? regarding the left hand thread LR wheel

The aluminum rims usually have different sized holes for the lug nuts, so the stock ones are too big and won't work. That's the only reason I can think of.

Speaking of loosening up lugs and watching the wheels fall off... no other vehicle on the road has a problem as long as the lugs are tight. If they're torqued down properly, why does it really matter what thread they are? It just sounds like some engineer was over-thinking a problem, if you ask me. Not like it's a totally bad thing, but just not quite necessary.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out about the left handers the hard way

Attachments

• IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members