My *** moment of the day...

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
So I was changing tires on my '84 (it's a 2wd), and started on the driver's rear tire. Put my breaker bar on the 1/2 drive socket, and proceeded to try and break the torque on the lug nuts loose. Did I get anywhere? Nope. For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out. It was like I was actually TIGHTENING the lug nuts. :dunno Then a thought occured to me... the threads on those lugs look wierd for some reason (open sided lug nuts; I could see the threads on the lugs). As soon as that thought crossed my mind, it hit me. THEY WERE REVERSE THREAD LUGS!!! -cuss -cuss

I did finally get them all off, and got the tire changed. After dealing with that, I made sure to look at the lug nuts themselves and sure enough, the nuts had a "L" stamped in them on the driver's rear. Now the part that doesn't make any sense (as if the previous part made sense to begin with...) the driver's rear was the only one that had the reverse thread lugs!! ***!?? The last truck I've EVER seen with reverse thread lugs was my Dad's 1954 International 3/4 ton pickup. But I'm EXTREMELY glad that I only half-stripped one of the lugs, and was still able to get the nut off. I didn't put it back on because it was impossible to thread anything back on that lug.

Is this common for Ford to do? I just don't really get it at all. :dunno cookoo

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If ur axle is a Dana 70 then yes. U can change the studs out to RH thread.

It's an F250. I don't think it is? I didn't see any tags on it saying what it was, but it was also dark when I was looking at it. Maybe I missed something. If it IS a Dana 70, then I'm pulling it off and swapping it with a different one I have before I sell this truck.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the front the same on the drivers side? Never heard or seen left hand threads on that size truck, they are common on 1-1/2 ton and up, some one had to change the lugs to that.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Is the front the same on the drivers side? Never heard or seen left hand threads on that size truck, they are common on 1-1/2 ton and up, some one had to change the lugs to that.

My friend has a Dana 70 from an early 80s F-250 with left hand threads only on the rear. Thats how i know :backoff Ruined two studs before we realized that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These left hand threads were a common item long ago but they can be cheanged out to right hand threads easily. My wife wanted a Jag sedan many years ago so she got one. Well as I was about to do front brakes on it one day I removed the wheel cover only to find the lug nuts looked like some fool had installed them with the taper side facing out....:eek: Nope.. Removed them to find both sides of the nut was tapered so you could not install them wrong... How odd was that. I saw a picture in my mind and figured it was as I saw it... Nope.. Just like you felt the threads were going to be right hand threads. I'll bet you look closely now before you remove lug nuts.. Making a mistake once is ok.. Making it twice it not ok... At least its not ok with me to make the same mistake twice...:sly:D

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score

Nope, sure wasn't the same. The front had regular thread lugs. The only thing I can think of, is that now that I think about it, this WAS a utility truck for an oil company back when it was brand new. Is there a possibility that they could have ordered it with a bigger rear axle?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
My C&C '86 has the 70U rear axle with left hand lugs. Got a great deal on some custom wheels, but I can't bolt the drivers rear up until I swap out the studs for right hand threads.

Maybe Ford got them on a big sale from Dana or something???

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
My C&C '86 has the 70U rear axle with left hand lugs. Got a great deal on some custom wheels, but I can't bolt the drivers rear up until I swap out the studs for right hand threads.

Maybe Ford got them on a big sale from Dana or something???

I'm thinking it must have been a special order item on this truck if that's the case.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Sounds like over the years someone swapped the front hubs and rotors during a brake job. Are they integral? It is my understanding the theory was reverse lugs on the DS was to prevent loosening of the lugs and was used by Ford in the early 80s on the left front and rear.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the '85 f250 i just got has a Dana 70 rear, all the lug nuts are normal. last thing i worked on with left had threaded nuts was a mid 70's IH pickup.... :dunno

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Sounds like over the years someone swapped the front hubs and rotors during a brake job. Are they integral? It is my understanding the theory was reverse lugs on the DS was to prevent loosening of the lugs and was used by Ford in the early 80s on the left front and rear.

I couldn't say if they were swapped, or if the rotors/hubs are any different. I didn't know it was something to look for. It's a 2wd truck, btw.

the '85 f250 i just got has a Dana 70 rear, all the lug nuts are normal. last thing i worked on with left had threaded nuts was a mid 70's IH pickup.... :dunno

Yeah... crazy IH's. I just didn't expect this from Ford.

What does the axle code on your door say you have?

I'll have to look in the morning. I'm at work now... night shift FTW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online