My WMO Setup, Pics

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Can you recall where you read about the 600k mile Cummins on WMO? I'd really like to read about it. Thanks. Jake

Hey Jake It was at one if the Cummins forums, I will try to dig it up, but it was a while ago. I think it was on a "WMO Cummins" search.

Hey Darrin
I used to run those pumps a lot in my business before I went to air powered pumps and you need to make sure that you don't have EPDM seal in the pump or it the seals will crack/ split and either suck air or leak oil in about a month... I use Viton seals on a 4300-501 FloJet and they work pretty good >> Make sure to have some kind of filter or trap before the pump because the diaphragms will get stuck open and make it sound like the filters are plugged up when there is actually a drop in pressure from trash in the pump.
I built a setup like this years ago for a 7.3 PSD and had everything mounted on top of the barrel so I could wheel it around the shop and set it out of the way when not using it... Now I have a common rail 6.7 cummins and I am scared to run WMO in there.... If that messed up i would definitely :puke: .

Love the site... I have a WMO Project I have been working on for a while >> Converting WMO into Diesel... Heating the oil until it vaporizes and then condensing it into diesel/kerosene. We have had good success with batch processors and now I am building a continuous production machine.

Oilguy

Hey oilguy, Thanks for the input and welcome to the site!

So far it is working very well, I proablly have run 100 gallons through the pump with no issues. and no canging the filters yet.

I would be interested in the Oil-to Diesel project, since I have a great source for WMO. In fact right now I am about 55 gallons behind.

My truck is still having a pump, or injector issue with overfueling so I am working through that right now. As I am doing that I am just running Diesel, with no WMO. Once I get that figured out, I will go back to 50/50 WMO Disel Mix.

Keep us posted on the Oil to Diesel setup! ;Sweet

Later,

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i signed up at the oiltodiesel site, very cool what you guys are doing there. to bad you dont have more traffic to keep moving things allong. stumbled across a set up to make a wast oil burner to heat with real cheep to.

Oilguy

Reaction score
i signed up at the oiltodiesel site, very cool what you guys are doing there. to bad you dont have more traffic to keep moving things allong. stumbled across a set up to make a wast oil burner to heat with real cheep to.

Yeah... There are a lot of people in the forum but only about 20 or so that are actually building or have a working unit... On the heater are you talking about the back yard metal casting type heater? That thing is a monster >>> I love it! I am going to build one on a heat exchanger for my shop this coming winter.

OG

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Welcome Oilguy to the site. Where are you in Texas? I am close to Del Rio just go another 30 miles west. I am interested in the oiltodiesel as well. I am running #2 in my 1990 F-350 7.3L IDI N/A stock for now. No Darrin I haven't got the grillguard on yet but hope to soon. gsgIDI

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Yeah... There are a lot of people in the forum but only about 20 or so that are actually building or have a working unit... On the heater are you talking about the back yard metal casting type heater? That thing is a monster >>> I love it! I am going to build one on a heat exchanger for my shop this coming winter.

OG
welcome BTW

thats the one, i am more interested in heating my shop as well with a variation of it. i used to work a clean burn where they make used oil furnaces so i have some of the basic backround in how they work and such. i love tinkering on projects like that. just like everyone else i short on extra time and resources.

are there any solid plans around to make a good jumping off point for a build on oil extraction. i saw allot of theory and some claiming to work but not much in pics or spacifics.

Oilguy

Reaction score
welcome BTW

thats the one, i am more interested in heating my shop as well with a variation of it. i used to work a clean burn where they make used oil furnaces so i have some of the basic backround in how they work and such. i love tinkering on projects like that. just like everyone else i short on extra time and resources.

are there any solid plans around to make a good jumping off point for a build on oil extraction. i saw allot of theory and some claiming to work but not much in pics or spacifics.

Yeah there have been 3 or 4 forums that have fallen apart for one reason or another (mainly one) and we just started where we left off instead of trying to recreate the beginnings.

gsgIDI I am in Aggieland... Bryan College Station... If you are ever this way stop by and I'll show you what I got.

OG

sassyrel

Reaction score
In one of the other Cummins forums there is a post where a guy has 600K miles on his truck, bought it new and has been running WMO since day one.

and to think--i got laughed at on the one idi weekend i attended for burning waste oil :D :D amazing what high fuel prices will do to a person:D :D carry on----

Desert Dually

cane corso
Reaction score
In one of the other Cummins forums there is a post where a guy has 600K miles on his truck, bought it new and has been running WMO since day one.

I remember reading that thread as well! It was on the DTR website. Dude had 628 thousand miles on a 1st gen dodge cummins running WMO the whole time

AzTraveller

Reaction score
Well i said i would give an update on the 50% diesel and 25/25 new oil and atf! Just the same still smoke at idle pretty bad a idle but runs great! Well then i just ran out of fuel and put in 15 gal of diesel and 3 gal of kerosene and the rest of wvo to see how much cleaner it would be. Well i do not know what i did but it smells good but smoke really bad. ran about 100 mile and top off 7 gal of diesel to help clean it out. Waiting now, any ideas from you guys!
You're forgetting that your IP should have an adjustment for "smoke", otherwise, just back off the amount of fuel you're over using. :rotflmao

AzTraveller

Reaction score
I understand not sucking from the bottom of the barrel, however, sooner or later it's going to build up (without you seeing the level).
Any recommendations for "water separation" filtering?
What about "Glycol", any way to separate that, if you get a batch of WMO or *** with "radiator coolant" in it ?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
typically what I do to dewater is I heat the oil to 180f in an insulated drum, then let it settle overnight, typically water will drop out and be at the bottom of the barrel and is easily removed using a bottom drain. that said I've just set up a centrifuge and it's 44 minutes into it's first run at a 55 gallon drum. Seems to work well!

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mankypro
I am interested in your setup with the insulated barrel and centrifuge. I have asked my son, who is on leave from the Marine Corps, to look for a tabletop centrifuge for me when he returns to his duty station. Any suggestions on the centrifuge and the insulated barrel? Thank you for your help on this matter. gsgIDI

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
mankypro
I am interested in your setup with the insulated barrel and centrifuge. I have asked my son, who is on leave from the Marine Corps, to look for a tabletop centrifuge for me when he returns to his duty station. Any suggestions on the centrifuge and the insulated barrel? Thank you for your help on this matter. gsgIDI

http://www.centrifugefordummies.com/

AzTraveller

Reaction score
I'm presuming that you need some air in your line before you actually get the oil to the centrifuge (to cause the centrifuge to spin-up) before the oil hits it, otherwise the first few seconds of oil will not be filtered because the centrifuge was standing still when it flowed through (?). :dunno

I guess centrifuges and standard filters all have their places. Maybe a combination of both would be best, though. ;Really

Will a centrifuge filter work when using a "vacuum" pump arrangement, rather than a pressure set-up ? I'd hate to run dirty oil through the pump, it would, over time, damage the pump. :puke: