My project

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does this sound? I picked up a 99 F-250 4x4 this weekend pretty cheap. The 5.4 has some oil pressure problems. I thought about transplanting my 92 7.3 and zf5 into it. I know this would not be a crazy swap since 7.3's came in these trucks, but I would have room for a downpipe and a turbo when the time comes. Also an intercooler would not be hard to swap in. Does anyone know if the 7.3 PSD motor mounts bolt up on the earlier 7.3 IDI engines? Are the blocks even the same? :thanks:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a swap I've wanted to do for a while. Go for it! ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Is it legal in your state to install an engine out of an older vehicle into a newer emissions controlled vehicle? I'm not even sure if that's legal here, but I've heard nebraska's laws are 2nd worst to commifornia's.

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wanting to use my 99 transfercase, which bolts up to my ZF5, but the splines are way too big for the ZF5 output shaft. I wanted to keep my driveshafts and there flange mounts and work my way fwd mounting everything up. I suppose I could use my 92 model transfercase, and have some shafts made. I have my eye on a 93 model turbo diesel truck at work to get the IP off of and the turbo...one of those clunkers.. I think the IDI 7.3 will sit lower in the truck, allowing for better clearance for intake, intercooler, and turbo downpipe.

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you do get the turbo ur most definitaly goin to have to rebuild it just so ya know when they blow the motors it takes out those too

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a ZF5 or a transfercase they can access easily (that is removed) I need to know the spline count and diameter of the output shaft on the ZF5. I think I found a place that can get me an input shaft for my NP 271 that is currently in the truck, so I can run my 7.3 and ZF5 combo in front of it.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds sweet i like the idea but itd be a dog and youd get odd looks with out a turbo on it
you should have plenty of room the psd and idi are the same comfiguration for the setup just make sure to leave plenty of room for everything inchuding the heater box and all

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah it will definitely get a turbo on it. And with the 4.10's that are in it, it will definitely not be a speed demon.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it legal in your state to install an engine out of an older vehicle into a newer emissions controlled vehicle? I'm not even sure if that's legal here, but I've heard nebraska's laws are 2nd worst to commifornia's.

Mabe its different where yall live, but who is going to waste their time in giving you a ticket for an older engine in a newer truck? I just dont see how anybody would ever find out anyways?:dunnocookoo