My ole beast died last night

Gigihurt

Reaction score
I had just filled the tank at the pump, Started it up, put it in gear and away I went. NOT, it lurched forward about ten feet and just died. It turns over very fast as if no compression. no fuel at several of the injectors. Didn't have a chance to investigate much as it was 1 am and I needed some sleep. Towed that heavy SOB to the house and let her lay in front of my shop. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Well, the good news is that you aren't dealing with SNOW as the rest of the country!
As for the problem....I don't know; sounds removal and tear down are in order. My first though was that the timing chain broke, and then I remembered, there is no timing chain; its all gear drive.
I think I'd pull the oil filler off the front of the injection pump gear cover, and see if the IP drive gear turns when someone cranks the engine. Keep us posted.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So have you tried it today?

I"m wondering if it lost prime, or the IP was quite warm and tuckered out. If the IP is doing the HOT no start thing, cooling it down will work so maybe today it will work.

If you disconnect the GP harness you can give it a small sniff of crack in a can..say half second shot and see if that will fire but ONLY WITH GP not working!

Let us know whats what today after some checking.

Gigihurt

Reaction score
I will try again on sunday as I will be out of town tonight and saturday. I thank you guys for your advice and will try the easiest first. I did switch to the front tank but that was when I first left the house about three hours before the pig went down. I am glad I am off monday too as it may be needed for diagnostics.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Were you low on fuel say around 1/4 tank when you filled up. If so you probably have the broken suction shower head problem. the suction head in the tanks looks like a plastic shower head. They all break of. when that happens you can suck out the last 1/4 tank of fuel. As for cranking over like there is no compression I'm at a loss for that feeling. I can't see anything breaking causing that feeling.

Gigihurt

Reaction score
@ Icanfixall, That is kind of what I am thinking and hoping, as My front tank was just a hair below a 1/4. I know that heavy thing is a true workout for a half ton dodge to pull up my hill by the house. Only checkout in daylight and not being pissed will tell. It was turning over very fast but no fuel will give the same feeling as a block with no heads. I also need to check the fso. Where is the plug for that. I seen two wires on my pump.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the shut off solenoid getting any power? All these posts about the pump "dying" is a very slow process compared to it just stopping fuel delivery.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On top of the injection pump you have 2 wires. The wire closest to the radiator is the fuel shutoff solenoid. Its also the large spade connector so it wont fit the rear connector. The rear wire is the electric advance in the injection pump. At 120 degrees of coolant it drops out. So does the fast idle solenoid. these 2 solenoids are controlled by the sender behind the thermostat housing.

Gigihurt

Reaction score
the pump had sucked air, Its running now, Brake caliper then locked up, easy fix. Rollin with the big pigs again. Thanks for all your help.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
the pump had sucked air, Its running now, Brake caliper then locked up, easy fix. Rollin with the big pigs again. Thanks for all your help.

Glad it was a simple fix and nothing was really wrong. now to remember the 1/4 tank rule. Never allow it to reach that level again. Or pull the bed to repair the rear tank or simply reach up under the truck to repair the front tank... Plenty of information on this forum about the suction pickups breaking off repairs.

Gigihurt

Reaction score
Yes that is my next move after the passenger caliper gets replaced. I dont need to drive it as all it does is pull my camper and gets me by in a pinch.