my new WMO heater

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You bought it? Sweet, glad I could help a brotha out :) How you gonna work around the mismatch of coolant ports size?

dieselfreak, if it makes you feel any better, the cooler I got has the wrong coolant ports as well, I just measured up the radiator hoses in my Lincoln (identical to the Crown Vic) and they are 1.5"OD, and the diesel has 2"OD, so the police car cooler ain't no direct bolt-on either...

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember that for early turbo setups there are 'transition couplers' to allow for connecting to different sized tubing. Whether you can find some that can handle the pressure and still maintain longevity I don't know but suppliers that deal with larger tubing can probably help. In Reno we have Delta Rubber.
http://www.deltarubber.com/ Maybe in your areas there's suppliers like Delta around.
A potential problem I can see if you try to mount as an or in a rad hose would be loss of volume flow

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devilish, I was thinking of the flow issue as well, so I'm not mounting it in the radiator hoses - tis gonna be fed by the heater core lines, somehow, worst case I may have to make some aluminum caps to thread the 5/8 barb fittings in, and weld them to the sides of the cooler.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not use some pipe fittings from the local hardware store and pieces of hose clamped by hose clamps. You can step up or down in any way you like

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's just what I'll be trying to do, but I don't know what they have as far as fittings go, so I'm just working on plan B, just in case :D

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowe's and Home Depot have plenty of fittings brass, copper, and galvanized. Don't forget pipe sealer

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, yeah I know about the pipe sealer, been there done that. And Jackson has both a Lowe's and Home Depot, so I should be good in that too, but we'll see...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the coole/heaterr is here - ports are 1-1/2" whereas upper radiator hose for the IDI is 1-3/4", and they make universal hoses with a spring inside them that have their ends in these two different sizes. So basically I need two of these hoses, and a short piece of straight 1-3/4" piping and I can have the heater installed in the upper radiator hose where it will get both coolant flow and temperature it needs.