My new turbo intake

Reaction score
Figured some of you would get a kick from it. I used a 4" U-bend and a 4" 45, and a summit cone filter. Seems to work pretty good, got rid of that horrible box and flat filter setup, and the turbo is much louder now!

You must be registered for see images attach

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very Nice!!!!!!! This is similar to the one I got from Jared that Ghunt built, but mine doesn't sweep back over to the drivers side like yours. I agree- I can actually hear my turbo now at high speed..............that wasn't happening with the stock airbox.................

plowboy444

Reaction score
I wanna try this when I get my turbo installed.... Do you think it gets as much cool air as the stock intake?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious, what's the radius on that u-bend? I originally wanted to do something like that but couldn't figure out how to get a 4" bend in there and still clear the fuel filter and bracket.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i duno bout you guys, but my turbo is loud threw the entire rpm range with the stock air box and stock down pipe. sounds like a damn VW turbo though. high pitched.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good ;Sweet

when i posted picks of mine that just used a 90° and straight 4" pipe I got flamed being told its just gonna get hot air though. Maybe you'll fare better? My turbo definitely got louder and egts are the same or better than the banks airbox

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good ;Sweet

when i posted picks of mine that just used a 90° and straight 4" pipe I got flamed being told its just gonna get hot air though. Maybe you'll fare better? My turbo definitely got louder and egts are the same or better than the banks airbox:sly

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I had my intake setup right there when I did my intercooler. I actually lost 1-3mpg by it being there. Even after I did modifications to the radiator support to get more air flow. I turned it down and placed it behind the power steering hose so it had it some additional support on the filter. I trimmed the radiator support up till about 4inches below the top so its a direct air flow into the filter at the lower angle. My ambient tempreture intake was also dropped by 12 degrees in switching the filter arrangement. Just my 2 cents worth.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes, I wish I could have placed it farther out twords the front, but that spot was literally the ONLY spot. If I got rid of my ac, I could continue it further foreward and out, but I like the A/c and there is a hard line directly in front of it. On the pass side I have the plow pump and valves, etc so no room there. It seems to run much better, especially at the low/mod rpms for some reason, and pulls harder. egs seemed lower also. I just ordered a 4" u bend from summit, not sure of the dia

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
What you can do is add another length to it and run it thru the a/c lines, cut a hole thru the support the size of the pipe and into the grille area and make a 90degree bend there so ur filter runs longways across the body. but i would have a grille cover like a bug screen or winter screen. I ran it that way with my intercooler since it decreased the air flow. it was a major difference, but with our major snow up and cold temps here i pulled mine in this time of the year.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see some stats such as milage comparing stock and modified intakes and pictures of the different designs. I plan to build one for my own at some time.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Mine was always really LOUD!!! even with the stock snorkel, and if i took the air filter out then it was so loud it would actually make my ears hurt when i boosted above 20psi:eek:

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how easy is it with a banks non gated to make a cold air intake like that. I heard it isn't that easy