My motorcraft ZD-9's weren't all Beru's

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I ordered all new Motorcraft ZD-9's from amazon. I checked the first few and they all said Beru, I stopped checking after that. Well I've been having a hard start below freezing and after buying new batteries (that really helped) I still felt there was something wrong, so I checked the easiest thing first, the gp's. Well low an behold there was a bad one. I pull it and it is not marked beru, it is marked diesel and the back slash lines like on an autolite. On further inspection I realized it has a divot retaining the plug end just like on an autolite, the Beru's use a crimp and leave lines. Check out the pics. showing the packaging it came SEALED in and an autolite off to the side for comparison. I'm returning it to amazon for an exchange, we will see what I get.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. I have a set of those on my wish list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if ford is outsourcing these when Beru can't fill the order. I guarantee that it is no coincidence that the one non-Beru plug fried. At least it didn't swell so bad it stuck, it did swell a little though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I wonder if someone has a hot sealer and is rebaging glow plugs now. Might be a new scam by those east coast wise guys.. You know the types..

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah , I thought about that too, will look at them much closer now before opening them. I think it was marked diesel rx? she certainly starts much better now.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember folks....

ZD9 is a designation of the particular plugs the 7.3 use and ZD1 is a 6.9 plug...kind of like a 1/2" or 9/16" wrench; both are wrenches and can be made by many manufacturers but are just called a 1/2" or 9/16" wrench.

It is odd to see a NON Beru in a Motorcraft bag mind you, regardless they are not wrong in doing so as it still is a ZD9 plug.

Just sayin...

Al

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember folks....

ZD9 is a designation of the particular plugs the 7.3 use and ZD1 is a 6.9 plug...kind of like a 1/2" or 9/16" wrench; both are wrenches and can be made by many manufacturers but are just called a 1/2" or 9/16" wrench.

It is odd to see a NON Beru in a Motorcraft bag mind you, regardless they are not wrong in doing so as it still is a ZD9 plug.

Just sayin...

Al

No one said it wasn't a ZD-9..... :confused:

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got all 8 of mine at advance auto parts for pretty good price, if you purchase them online and pick them up in the store you can get 15% discount, got all of them for about 78 bucks, all were motorcraft ZD9s and all the markings on them matched, and even better my local advance auto had them all in stock, only thing was online it listed them at spark plugs instead of glow plugs but they were all correct, the discount code is at the top of the page,

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...yView&promoCode=CT27&storeId=10151&taskType=A

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a good deal, we don't have any other parts store besides NAPA within an hour and a half so we are forced to buy on the internet or go to the dealer. You city boys are pretty lucky in that respect. But I can hunt grouse in my front yard LOL.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, the real issue here is if Ford is subbing Beru with other makes of gp's, we will have to be more observant and insist on the Beru's even if that means picking through a supplier's stock. I was interested to see if any of the rest of you have gotten off brand plugs in motorcraft packaging.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It may the fact that Beru was bought out by Bosch.

If they did do that I'm pissed that I just sold off my spare sets on motorcraft ZD9 Beru glow plugs. My set in the engine now has been running fine for 7 plus years. Still the same wait time with no problems...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bosch zd9's work fine for me. I just bought a set of berus online. made in germany.

Believe it or not Bosch is a good brand lol. A lot of other diesels use them, the VW crowd seems to love them. I never had trouble using them with manual glowing. YMMV with automated control

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online