My county just OK'ed emissions testing....

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Its been a long time coming but my county (Cache Valley Utah) just put the ok on emissions testing. Because this is completely new to me I'd really like to know what they mean by "Those 1997 and older will be subject to the Bear River Health Department smoking vehicle program." :dunno Anyway I'm all for clean air and healthy vehicles but I hate ignorance and I've got a hunch that the ol' IDI is going to be subject to a lot of that once they start picking it apart and testing it...

"For diesel-powered vehicles model year 1998 and newer, no emissions inspection will be required for those that are six model years and newer as of Jan. 1 of any given year. An emissions inspection will be required every other year for those seven model years and older. Diesel vehicles 2007 and newer will be tested utilizing OBD (on-board diagnostic) technology. Those from 1998 to 2006 will have a visual inspection. Those 1997 and older will be subject to the Bear River Health Department smoking vehicle program."

http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/article_c69ed168-8ba0-11e2-8c40-0019bb2963f4.html

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why a federal agency is "strong arming" a single county. Was there some talk going on at a state level to get all counties to perform emission tests previous to passing that program?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the "Smoking Vehicle" program is, but if I'm reading it correctly, 1997 and older diesels are exempt from biannual testing. My guess is that the "Smoking Vehicle" program is something where someone can call a phone number and complain about a vehicle that's smoking excessively...I don't know how much power that program has; I know that CA has "1-800-EXHAUST" for people to complain, but all they do is send you a love letter trying to shame you into getting rid of your truck...it doesn't bear any legal standing.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Is prolly a direct result of someone "rolling coal" while the wrong person was watching. We've all been warning of this.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Rat Box, can you send me the article in a PM cause I wanna read it and go over with a fine tooth comb. It's not right see they have no right or grounds to do this, our trucks have always been like this, if they think they can get away with it they're full of crap. Cause see the 94.5 to 97 PSD had a code AA injector single shot injector like the IDI shot it in all at once, then they came out with the AB injector a dual stage injector, shoots a little bit of fuel in under like 50% load then shoots the rest of it in. That reduced black smoke by a bit, those injectors plus a cat is all the 7.3 had. They are just on a power trip that's what I think, if I was making trucks I'd put the 7.3 IDI and PSD back in trucks again. I'd look up all the old emissions laws in your county and fight this, they're just tryin to get us to hang ourselves, I think they must be low on money. And want ours or take our older trucks and force us to get new diesels. I'm aginst this 1110% they been tryin to do here in WV for years for couldnt get a foot hold. DONT LET THEM TAKE OUR TRUCKS BOYS. Dont get me wrong my bosses 2012 f250 is nice but to fancy and to many sensors and computers for me. I like my grandpa's 99 PSD, I love my old F-350 IDI I drive it almost every week out of the year, I switch out one every week. If you want to email me you can sir, [email protected]

I know if they try something like this in West Virginia they're not getting my truck or grandpa's. Hope that helps sir JD. :)

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you aren't "rolling coal".

http://www.brhd.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=546&Itemid=31

I know the link doesn't work but cut and paste the address.. can't make it work for some reason.

As was mentioned above, looks like anything older than 97 is basically exempt from emissions so long as you aren't reported for excessive smoke. I did a lot of reading on the EPA stuff when I was looking at trucks. I really wanted to do a cummins swap (yes sorry I used the C word) but have since been educated. According to EPA, a Fummins is actually illegal to drive on the road because of engine switching guidelines. It was never an approved chassis and drive train combination. Now the caveat is that it is up to the states to enforce these rules so it depends on your state as to whether or not you can get away with it. In the peoples republic of Maryland, its a little tricky, hence going IDI. Not regretting that decision either. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Guys.. This is the first shot at our rigs but not all is lost.. We can turn down the fuel to a point that we run clean or run some vegi oil and we all know vegi oil will not make any measureable pollution. So we have plenty of options available.. Now if these creeps see us blacking out the sky they may take us directly to a smog check station and then we are in trouble. But we asked for that by smokeing for no good reason other than to just make a mess and laugh about it.. Till then I will enjoy the ride but am ready for the fight too.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The main reason I back dated to IDI was the simplicity and the ability to tolerate things like biodiesel. Some of the stuff I have seen guys run blows my mind. I know the original diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil, but wow. This site has opened my eyes to some of the weird possiblities. I'm all for alternative fuel sources and I chose this platform because I think it has a lot of potential. I've been thinking about an algae bioreactor in the back yard for a few years now. Being a chemist, I have the skills to make quality fuel (I think... we shall find out). Nobody is going to give a flip about your emissions if you are running B100. FWIW, diesel is only going to get more expensive with time.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
They're tryin to force this on him, and they tried in WV, but they didnt win, the Utah counsel is somewhat aginst it I dont see why they dont just leave it alone all together.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Agreed. The main reason I back dated to IDI was the simplicity and the ability to tolerate things like biodiesel. Some of the stuff I have seen guys run blows my mind. I know the original diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil, but wow. This site has opened my eyes to some of the weird possiblities. I'm all for alternative fuel sources and I chose this platform because I think it has a lot of potential. I've been thinking about an algae bioreactor in the back yard for a few years now. Being a chemist, I have the skills to make quality fuel (I think... we shall find out). Nobody is going to give a flip about your emissions if you are running B100. FWIW, diesel is only going to get more expensive with time.
I agree I think it's rediculous that diesel is 4.18 a gallon here, is there not a way to make premium diesel LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what comes from the guys rolling coal and thinks it's funny. There are plenty of tree huggers out there just waiting to bash the diesel's.

Excerpt from Utah paper comments.

Thank heavens for the federal government If not for them, our local clown posse would lead us off the cliff. I look forward to this plan being implemented, and several of my neighbors being subjected to fines for driving ridiculous vehicles that pollute and are noisy. A lot of these diesel trucks you see driving around today, with modified exhaust sysems that spew pollution and break your ear drums when they drive by; will finally be fixed for society's betterment. Hopefully one day we can get a noise ordinance put in place that restricts some of these modified vehicles and motorcycles from being so loud.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This is what comes from the guys rolling coal and thinks it's funny. There are plenty of tree huggers out there just waiting to bash the diesel's.

Excerpt from Utah paper comments.

Thank heavens for the federal government If not for them, our local clown posse would lead us off the cliff. I look forward to this plan being implemented, and several of my neighbors being subjected to fines for driving ridiculous vehicles that pollute and are noisy. A lot of these diesel trucks you see driving around today, with modified exhaust sysems that spew pollution and break your ear drums when they drive by; will finally be fixed for society's betterment. Hopefully one day we can get a noise ordinance put in place that restricts some of these modified vehicles and motorcycles from being so loud.

There you have it folks, in black and white. Just in case anyone running around on the streets didnt think anyone was paying attention..
Hey I've owned race cars that would scare the pants off most of you guys( and even a Kenworth that would have most of you crapping your pants:D and I have no problems with folks building performance vehicles and running them where they belong If folks want to put on a show at truck pullls, fine, but all this smoke is nothing but unburned fuel, it isnt horsepower.
And for the record, I took my kids and left a pulling event due to all the unneccesary friggen smoke in the air one time. It was insane the way these fools had those things belching that stuff out, for no more extra power, and all it did was make everyones eyes and lungs burn . THat much smoke in an open air area??? comon Learn to tune the things. Tehy'd probably get an extra 5 ft out of the things if theyd learn how the blamed engine works

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling the regulations in California will become more strict in regards to older diesels. If only they made the highway on ramps longer that way I wouldn't have to smoke everyone out behind me getting my rig up to speed lol. I have to admit I don't care much for the smoke because it seems like my truck is the only one out there that is really noticeable and I stick out like a sore thumb. I think the new valve stem seals and stock IP will help my smoke situation out.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I should mention that some of Utah's more populated counties have been doing emissions testing for some time now and to my knowledge they all test the exhaust by hooking it up to a machine and stabbing the throttle repetitively :rolleyes: Not sure what we are going to have implemented here but I'm expecting the worst at this point.