My Cold Start

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a load tester. Should I use it on the batteries before I start cranking on it or after?

Before you crank it load test the batteries. Disconnect the negative cable from each battery and then load test. Don't do what they do at Sears and that is they load test each battery with the cables connected and come up with the same result for each. Each time i have to remind them to disconnect one battery.

As others have said if it cranks fast then slow then fast again while all on one time cranking then it's the starter. How old are the batteries?. Anymore than 3-4 years old then consider replacing them as well.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
This is a common myth.

If you think about it and look at a wiring diagram, you can see that there is NO WAY a controller can lower voltage to the plugs.

You must be registered for see images attach

The controller simply turns the relay on, allowing full voltage through the relay then onto the resistor and then into the plugs.

The controller can't lower voltage to the plugs.

Take a test light and check the voltage at the GP's. I did it once and came up with battery voltage.

I wasn't speaking of voltage, which is most definitely a constant, but of current. From what I read (and I could still be totally wrong here) the resistance on the resistor increases as it heats up causing a drop in current which in turn will not allow the GP's to overheat.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well here are my results from my load test.

*Sorry didnt realize the pictures were blurry, flash not required!
First is the main battery (passenger side)

Secondary battery (Driver side)

While doing the load test on the driver side battery I could hear the acids inside the battery boiling or moving around, not sure exactly what it was but could hear it making noise.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the buzzing sound in your video? Thats what my glowplug relay sounded like before it caught fire. Maybe you have a glowplug relay which isn't sending enough power to the glowplugs. For what its worth, I am running a $12 starter relay as a glowplug relay. Ive read here that a starter relay won't last long as a gp relay, but its been over a year and its still fine.

I have heard it said here that up to a 16 second glowplug cycle is acceptable with a manual switch, but thats only in really cold temps. I haven't done more than 12 myself, but with 12 mine fires up real well, coldest I've seen is 7 deg F. I do have a new fuel system and good compression, and batteries, cables, and starter are in pretty good shape. The fuel heater should make no difference at all, as long as you don't have gelled fuel. Mine has been unplugged since I have owned the truck.

Synthetic oil made all the difference for my old Mercedes. The mercedes I have now though doesn't care what kind of oil its got in it, if its below 20 it aint starting. Of course it has lower compression, and could really use a starter and battery and two glowplugs. I haven't switched my truck to synthetic because I rarely drive it in the cold, but I would imagine it would help it even more.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Whats the buzzing sound in your video? Thats what my glowplug relay sounded like before it caught fire. Maybe you have a glowplug relay which isn't sending enough power to the glowplugs. For what its worth, I am running a $12 starter relay as a glowplug relay. Ive read her that a starter relay won't last long as a gp relay, but its been over a year and its still fine.

I have heard it said here that up to a 16 second glowplug cycle us acceptable with a manual switch, but thats only in really cold temps. I haven't done more than 12 myself, but with 12 mine fires up real well, coldest I've seen is 7 deg F. I do have a new fuel system and good compression, and batteries, cables, and starter are in pretty good shape. The fuel heater should make no difference at all, as long as you don't have gelled fuel. Mine has been unplugged since I have owned the truck.

Synthetic oil made all the difference for my old Mercedes. The mercedes I have now though doesn't care what kind of oil its got in it, if its below 20 it aint starting. Of course it has lower compression, and could really use a starter and battery and two glowplugs. I haven't switched my truck to synthetic because I rarely drive it in the cold, but I would imagine it
help it even more.

Thebuzzing is suppose to be normal, its the voltage going through the relay, can someone confirm this? I remember someone once told me .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online