My Cold Start

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Mine starts and sounds just like that when it's about 20 outside. 45 minutes on the block heater and it fires up like its 80 outside, maybe 2 or 3 revolutions only to run. Not sure what difference it makes overall, but I am running AMSOil 10W-40 Diesel synthetic oil in it. I don;t think these trucks like the super-cold very much though... I wonder how good it would start with new batteries, a new starter and a new moose pump and injectors....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Good compression, good batteries, glow plug system, and good starter you should have no trouble starting down to -10*F or even colder. Compression is a big one I think.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin - That's what I like to hear! I have been absolutely amazed at all of the cold start discussion/videos I have seen in the last few years. I never knew it was a big deal for a diesel to start in below zero temps. When I had my 01 powerstroke I never once plugged it in (thought the block heater was for weenies that wanted heat quicker :), and I can remember starting it numerous times in -5 degree (or lower) temps. My idi seems to start pretty well in cold temps also, just wondering if I should go to group 31 batteries to see what all the fuss is about. I do want to do a compression test to see where my engine is though, I think it's probably a little low (gonna do a AutoRX treatment this spring).

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I dont think it is compression problems. Maybe its my starter that is draining down my batteries? If it were not so damn cold out right now ID go take the starter off and have it tested.

Ive got new Motorcraft plugs and a new GP solenoid and new ground cables.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I am wondering, according to your video they were on for 18 seconds? Imagine how much tougher it would have started if you only left them on for 10 seconds (if you had a manual switch)???

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Your problem is in the cranking speed, check the cables, the ends ans have the batteries load tested, if all that checks out, replace the starter, it cost nothing to test the batteries and cables and ends, and its easier than taking the starter off dont do work till ya have too;Really

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
That's what I am wondering, according to your video they were on for 18 seconds? Imagine how much tougher it would have started if you only left them on for 10 seconds (if you had a manual switch)???

The solid state system works like so, it holds the plugs till the build up a certain resistance, they will hold anywere from 4-20 seconds and possibly longer depends on tempurature and resistance not all glow plug relays and plugs are the same so some takes longer to get to the resistance

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I wasn't saying that your compression is bad, I'm saying that it's probably a key factor in higher mileage IDI's

Also a good injection system with proper timing is also needed for good cranking.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your cold advance solenoid working? Can you hear it click if you jump 12VDC to it? Sounds like you may be slightly retarted.

My Truck starts immediatly after a 12 hour cold soak at -2*F. My GP's burn for 10-12 seconds. I have a fresh Moose Pump and new BB's. This is starting on straight #2, no winter blend and Howes or PS white bottle.

My Truck actually starts better when totally cold vs. using the block heater. The block heater prohibits the use of the cold idle solenoid and advance solenoid.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I am betting its something with the timing because Ive done a bit of adjusting it, I know I shouldn't of. Gotta wait till I get a hold of the timing meter.

I also noticed today it will crank fast, then all of a sudden slow way down, then speed up.

My Cold advance works also.

I gotta question, when you use a push button why are you only suppose to hold it 10 seconds, but with the regular system it stays on a lot longer?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I am betting its something with the timing because Ive done a bit of adjusting it, I know I shouldn't of. Gotta wait till I get a hold of the timing meter.

I also noticed today it will crank fast, then all of a sudden slow way down, then speed up.

My Cold advance works also.

I gotta question, when you use a push button why are you only suppose to hold it 10 seconds, but with the regular system it stays on a lot longer?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Because a pushbutton doesn't know what the resistance on the GP's are, so it keeps sending full current through them the whole time where the regular system drops off the current as the resistance increases. With the pushbutton you could potentially burn your GP's out all at once. On my old 86, I never hold it for more than 5 or 6 seconds on new Beru's. If it's super cold, I'll do 2 cycles maybe 5 seconds apart and she fires right up. Loud SOB for sure, but she quiets down after a few seconds.