My Cold Start

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I have had my truck on the charger about 2 hours before this start, other wise it wouldn't crank fast enough to even start. I think my truck should start a lot faster than its starting or is this perfectly fine? Its about 11* out with the wind chill right now and the truck hasn't been started in a couple days.

Ill try to get a better picture later without the help of the battery charger.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Didn't use block heater, the truck has to be able to be started without the use of a blockheater after sitting extended period of times.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
At 11 degrees that oil in the pan is pretty thick I assume it cranks fater when warmed up?

Mine cranks alot fater than that when not plugged in. Its about 15 degrees here in the AM right now. Have you load tested the batteries individually?

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it should start faster than that, they weren't that hard to start when new in any temps (I don't believe). I will say that overall the truck seems to do pretty well, I wonder if some more cranking speed wouldn't help out a lot... Group 31 batteries???

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I think my batteries are about done, I crank it will go fast then all of a sudden it starts cranking slow, I can say the batteries most likely are the root of the problem, but right now money Is a bit tight.

oilburners

Reaction score
I'm going through the same crap here. New GP controller (two of them) all new glow plugs (autozone), new starter, strong batteries, and the wait to start light only stays on for 4-10 seconds. 38F here. This frigging thing won't start without being plugged in and then it's still a p.i.t.a. to get it going. My other truck has all the same parts and starts faster at 15 below than Googy's video above at 7F.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the coldest I have started mine is about 20 deg and it took about 5 sec of cranking, Normally it will start within the first few revolutions around freezing. I know the starter speed is a little slow but it seems the glow time is about right

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is not quite that bad with a single cycle of the glow plugs. I have found that going through 2 cycles mine starts right up. It did seem to be a little slow cranking compared to mine. Have you made sure all of your grounds are good and connections are free of any corrosion?

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I think my batteries are about done, I crank it will go fast then all of a sudden it starts cranking slow, I can say the batteries most likely are the root of the problem, but right now money Is a bit tight.

Then test each battery individually. Youll need to electrically isolate them from one another. Try disconnecting one bettery then turn the head lamps on and check the voltage at the battery still conntected. Then do the same to the other battery. In my experience, I have found that one battery will fail before the other. You may get by with only buying one battery for now.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also what is the actual temp because the wind chill shouldn't effect it. Like it could be 10 degrees here and with the wind chill sometimes 20 below or something.