Muffler delete pipe

triplethreat

AGENT ORANGE
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting a muffler delete pipe on my stock exhaust and pitching the muffler. Does anyone know if I can still pass NC state inspection without a muffler. I would hate to do this then not pass an inspection.

Dan

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
:Banned :Banned :Banned :Banned :Banned :Banned

Oh sorry... this isnt the TDS! LOL

As for your question.... I wouldnt see any problems with muffler removals.... its the cats that they look for--- but then again WI doesnt have emissions for diesels.. Only problem I see running no mufflers is possible noise violations.

I really dont know NC law.... maybe somebody from there will chime up on this though.

JIM_C

"member" - huh huh
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I go to one of the "Inspection Only" shops here in Charlotte. All they do is state inspections and rip people off on windshield wipers (that's why I buy new ones at Wal-Mart before I go). Anyway, I don't think they even look at the exhaust on diesels. They didn't know that my truck was supposed to have a cat (which I do, but that's for trips to the dealer). I think you'd be fine.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
As far as I know, diesel powerd pick ups in our state only get insp for safety ;Sweet ....The stickers are yellow/white while the emissions insp stickers are blue/white.

BTW....All I have is 4" straight--no kat/**** to a 5 "tip and it passed last year :D

triplethreat

AGENT ORANGE
Reaction score
George,

How far are you from the outlets. I might drop the wife off there for a few hours and swing by on the 22nd if you aren't too far away.

Dan

TheWolf

Reaction score
If you want to try, just get some flex pipe and put in place, instead of spending lots of money on a prebent pipe. Then if need be just swap out for inspection

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
lukesdiesel said:
Unless you know someone to inspect your truck you will not pass inspection.......

Not true....trucks over 8k only get saftey...haven't had a ****/kat since I have lived in NC --7 yeras now and on both trucks :D

nghtrgr

Reaction score
I went to a mom and pop small shop and as he was doing the inspection he said the words catalytic convertor but never knelt down to visually inspect. The inspections are state regulated so the price is set, the shops make no money off of it from what the guy said. So that may play into your favor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online