motor is toast

ramon f350

Reaction score
so since we have had 12 inches of white death on the ground here in the DFW area there are now huge puddles of water and large pot holes on the roads. Yesterday we were headed over to the inlaws house when I hit one of the said puddles/potholes and threw water up over the hood and windshield. As soon as the water hit I heard the knocking. I guess I managed to get some of the water into the cold air intake and it got sucked through the Turbo. So now I am at a cross roads with this truck. I love it but, its becoming where I am spending over a thousand dollars a year on repairs ( the repairs are alaways a large one) I just put a new injector pump on it in August and in July of 08 I had to redo the top end due to making too much boost and lifting the head from the block. I really dont know if I can contiunue to pour more money into the truck. She still needs more work besides the bent push rod. Any opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ramon

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ramon-
it sounds like your truck did indeed inhale.
sorry to hear of all the troubles you've had.
but once sold, you won't find too many other nice IDI's like yours in TX.

ramon f350

Reaction score
Thats the problem that I am wrestling with... I hate to get rid of something I cant replace. I hate to say this but I may have to start looking at powerstrokes or cummins. The parts for these motors are getting harder to find. When I redid the top end last year it took me a month to find a complete top end gasket set. just for info they call it a valve grind set if you ever need one.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hell, if you're adamant on getting rid of her, will she make it to Hamilton? it's 2.5hrs south and west of you. throw me a number. If nothing else, I'll throw an extra motor in the back of my '92 in the spring when I go out there to work on my houses. My '86 reg cab truck is not a good idea at all for making supply runs into Waco. How about trade plus cash? for yours?:D

ramon f350

Reaction score
I dont know for sure if Im gonna sell her. If I do I will certainly let you know. There is no way it would make it to Hamilton but, That is easily solved I happen to have acess to several wreckers. I can throw it on a car carrier pretty easy. Im waiting on my buddy that works for the International shop here in town to call me and give me the prices on my options for parts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ramon I have some used rods. Tell me how many you need and just pay the cost of shipping and they are yours.... If you do sell it to towcat at least it gets a good home and stays in the brotherhood...:sly:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1k a year is way cheaper than a payment.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't write off the engine until you've ruled out the other possibilities. Have you pulled the cover off the air cleaner to see if you did pull water in? Did the fan bend, exhaust manifold crack or...

ramon f350

Reaction score
I tore it down today and the head is cracked the piston has been hamered on pretty bad. I'm now trying to get prices on the new parts to see what the plan is. The insurance agent saw me under the hood and came over to shoot the breeze ( the insurance office is next door to my shop). I told him what happened and he told me my insurance might cover it. if its too much for me to afford fixing right now I might let them total the truck to raise money and then buy it back if the price is right. so thats the plan now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online