motor has a miss?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
My fathers truck is a 95 powerstroke 170,000 miles and it has recently developed what sounds like the motor running on less than 8 cylinders. Obviously there is a lack of power that comes with this. It is not intermittant it is all the time whether idling or running down the road. It almost runs ok but you can tell it isnt normal. Has anybody else had any similar experience that can point me in the right direction? I was thinking an injector is bad myself. Everything is original except for glow plugs and the recalled sensor. Thanks for any suggestions.
Adam

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Injector possibly, bad valve cover wiring harnesses causing an intermitant open/short, possible air in the fuel (injector o-rings).

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
intermitant could be a burnt uvch. take the oil fill cap off and smell for burnt wires.
usually it will not set a code, or a lite, buzz test will show the code.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
The problem is not intermitant it is constant. It seems like there is a bad injector. Is it possible for one to go bad long before the others? Anybody else had one go bad and have the same symptoms? How much do injectors for these motors run?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run a buzz test on it to see if you have all 8 solenoids firing.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how do you do this?
You need a scan tool such as the AutoEnginuity or the like. Hook it up to a dead cold truck (sat over night at least) and let it run through the paces. You'll hear the IDM fire all 8 injectors at once then it will numerically run through them 1 through 8. You should easily pick up a dead one with your ear.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
You need a scan tool such as the AutoEnginuity or the like. Hook it up to a dead cold truck (sat over night at least) and let it run through the paces. You'll hear the IDM fire all 8 injectors at once then it will numerically run through them 1 through 8. You should easily pick up a dead one with your ear.
so does the tool tell you what one is firing or does it start at 1 and go to 8?