mosse pump mpg gains...???

sureshot40sw

Reaction score
moose pump mpg gains...???

been reading bout this moose pump... sounds like a nice piece to have... got a question that I havent found a definate answer on...

with the extra fuel delivery, what if any are the mpg gains ???... with fuel at $4.69 a gallon here, power is second to mpg....

I'll be running a 94 7.3 turbo with a new set of Delphi injectors and a built e4od with 4.10's.... planning on swapping to 3.54's seeins if I run 35 miles one way to work everyday...

thanks, and I'm still searching.... ;Sweet

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let's be honest here.
you can't have gobs of power and great fuel economy at the same time.
A moose pump is great if you are building a hard pulling IDI. If you are looking for the ultimate in fuel economy, you are spending way too much money. But ultimately you are the master to your fuel economy desires. You can achieve good economy with the moose pump if you run with a very gentle throttle foot. I can when needed to but......often I have episodes of turrets when surrounded by idiot drivers.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before I started turning down my Moose pump I got 15.8 mpg towiny 5000 lbs. Half was loaded and half wasn't. I really wasn't trying to be taking it easy ferthering the throttle either. I run hard and fast compared to most. I will be running loaded again on Tuesday but I'll have to get back with the results on thursday or friday when they are in.

sureshot40sw

Reaction score
let's be honest here.
A moose pump is great if you are building a hard pulling IDI. If you are looking for the ultimate in fuel economy, you are spending way too much money. But untimately you are the master to your fuel economy desires. You can achieve good economy with the moose pump if you run with a very gentle throttle foot. I can when needed to but......often I have episodes of turrets when surrounded by idiot drivers.

i realize that "gobs of power" requires alot of fuel... I'm not looking for a sled pulling rig, just a normal use daily driver that hauls a full width explorer on 38's to the trails and back.... right now I get 10mpg on the hwy unlaoded and 6mpg loaded.... its a new engine with less than 60K on the clock..... the PO put it in so I know very little about it.... dunno about the IP or injectors except it leaks like hell after two tanks of water filled fuel... -cuss

I'm new to diesels but not vehicles in general....

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds really low for mpg's out of an IDI... You say it leaks like hell, does the valley fill up with fuel? Have you put a return line kit on it yet? I've been through 5 different IDI trucks now and every single one of them needed a the return line tune up when I bought them...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i realize that "gobs of power" requires alot of fuel... I'm not looking for a sled pulling rig, just a normal use daily driver that hauls a full width explorer on 38's to the trails and back.... right now I get 10mpg on the hwy unlaoded and 6mpg loaded.... its a new engine with less than 60K on the clock..... the PO put it in so I know very little about it.... dunno about the IP or injectors except it leaks like hell after two tanks of water filled fuel... -cuss

I'm new to diesels but not vehicles in general....

With those kind of mileage figures you've either got something bad wrong or your timing is way off. Where abouts are you located? I'm not far west of Conway over toward Toad Suck. I've got a Ferret pulse timing setup. you're welcome to come by and give it a shot.

------Robert

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Fuel leaks can amount to a lost 10 mpg... Calvin and others... I just last week ran my motor up to 3000 rpm... Wow is all I can say at this time. Even my first non turbo idi it didn't ever see the governor limit. I just don't tun them up to that limit. I know they are designed to run up against the governor and stay there as a base loaded motor puting out the power to run a generater or water pump. I don't run that fast on the rpms....Calvin....:moon: :cry: :flipa :popcorn ;Poke . :D Just teasen ya... Someday I'll see the redline on the tach but not any time soon....:D

sureshot40sw

Reaction score
That sounds really low for mpg's out of an IDI... You say it leaks like hell, does the valley fill up with fuel? Have you put a return line kit on it yet? I've been through 5 different IDI trucks now and every single one of them needed a the return line tune up when I bought them...

no fuel in the valley... what makes me think that someting is leaking is on startup it runs ruff as hell like its loaded up and takes a bit to clear out.... it also has blue/white smoke like crazy.... ya cant see through it ...
I have no idea about the return line.... :dunno

Where abouts are you located?

I'm in Texarkana... it would cost me eleventy billion dollars in fuel to come by... plus I have no idea what your talking about... and prolly dont know how to use it..... LOL

I just last week ran my motor up to 3000 rpm

I do this all the time now that I have a new throttle cable... it wont go any higher tho...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let's be honest here.

Sure you can...... CUMMINS:D ;Poke

When was the last time you seen an IDI make GOBS of power. 99% of the posts here are "how can I get more power out of my IDI".:popcorn

Unless you are driving a lot of miles like I am (15,000 a month), most money spent on getting better fuel economy by throwing parts at something takes years to pay for themselves. Biggest MPG gains are had by controlling your right foot and slowing down.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
no fuel in the valley... what makes me think that someting is leaking is on startup it runs ruff as hell like its loaded up and takes a bit to clear out.... it also has blue/white smoke like crazy.... ya cant see through it ...
I have no idea about the return line.... :dunno

I'm in Texarkana... it would cost me eleventy billion dollars in fuel to come by... plus I have no idea what your talking about... and prolly dont know how to use it..... LOL

I do this all the time now that I have a new throttle cable... it wont go any higher tho...

It sure sounds like the timing is way off.

Don't matter if'n ya don't know how to use the ferret, I do . Just so long as you can crawl around in there and loosen the pump bolts we could get that thing straightened out ;Sweet Just getting the timing straightend out you should cover the fuel for the run in no time. Even with my crew cab dually with 4.10 rear I get 14 mpg running empty and 10 when towing the 5er and it weighs in around 10k

sureshot40sw

Reaction score
It sure sounds like the timing is way off.

Don't matter if'n ya don't know how to use the ferret, I do . Just so long as you can crawl around in there and loosen the pump bolts we could get that thing straightened out ;Sweet Just getting the timing straightend out you should cover the fuel for the run in no time. Even with my crew cab dually with 4.10 rear I get 14 mpg running empty and 10 when towing the 5er and it weighs in around 10k

I'm dangerous with a wrench... when is a good time.. ???? i nee dthis thing runnig soon... I missed a huge run this weekend cuz of it.... -cuss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm dangerous with a wrench... when is a good time.. ???? i nee dthis thing runnig soon... I missed a huge run this weekend cuz of it.... -cuss

Just about any day or time except for the 28th or 29th. If you want to drop by tomorrow, I'll be here.

sureshot40sw

Reaction score
PM me your number and I may just take ya up on that offer... if I cant make it tomorrow, I'll shoot for next weekend....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.