More Progress on the 6.9 Rebuild!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have some part numbers for the inconel exhaust valves from my build. I bought them from Diesel Direct in Florida. I really don't know if they are still around. They came in a Clevite box and they were in a paper sealed bag so no moisture reached them. When the shop removed them from the bag the part number was EL 2001... Thats an Elgin part number...WTH was that. So I called and talked to an engineer at Clevite asking about the number and some material makeup.. Correct part number but no material data because no valves are made in the US any longer. They are cooled by liquid mercury and the hazarders are too high for the states. They are made in Brasil... Thats really sad to know. Now I ran the paint off my stock na 7.3 with a turbo on it without ever haveing a valve problem. So are stock exhaust valves ok with a turbo.. sure are. Will stock valves handle 20+ lbs of boost and a twin turbo setup... Maybe not but who is going to try that. Running anything up around 15 lbs or more boost and I would be using differant springs. Think of it this way. You have nothing pressing on th closed intake valve. Now press 15 or 20 lbs on it. This is a constant pressure whenever your boosting said amount of pressure. Its trying to push open the intake valve. So now you see the dnymics of whats going on in these engines under boost. I would increase the exhaust valve spring pressure too. You might think why do that. If anything the exhaust back pressure will try to close the valve quicker but balanceing the engine mechanics is really important.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and for the starting point. Since it's raining and cold outside, it's a great afternoon for some web crawling. Here's what I've found so far:
  • Diesel Direct is now listed as a South African bulk fuel dispenser. Fuel, yes. Valves, no.
  • Federal Mogul/Sealed Power V2302 $9.35
  • Federal Mogul/Sealed Power V2307S, stelllite, .010" oversize head $14.36 each
  • Perfect Circle/Mahle/Clevite 211-2561 no info available $15.13
Looks like a set of stellite valves will cost me around $120.

Last edited:

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
definitely a good job covering the rebuild! :thumbsup:makes me wanna do my own work too. i have a '94 idi that has started to leak coolant into the oil and i do not know where/how to start.

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
at some point you will have to post a break down of all work performed and cost involved. and hopefully i will be lucky enough to find the same discounts.

sportsmobile88

Mobile Dweller
Reaction score
Pushrod length

Nice build Heath!! I'm preparing for the same for a variety of reasons. I was wondering, since you decked the block, are your pushrods going to be a little long? I had that problem several decades ago with a hot small block I built for my sand Jeep. Probably a silly question as it seems you have this very well planned and thought out.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at some point you will have to post a break down of all work performed and cost involved. and hopefully i will be lucky enough to find the same discounts.
Yes, I will post all that information up when I get it finished. It adds up quickly.:eek:

Heath

How much did the rockers cost ya?
$11.99 per pair. Cheapest by far is at AutoZone.com. Most places want more than $40 per pair.

Nice build Heath!! I'm preparing for the same for a variety of reasons. I was wondering, since you decked the block, are your pushrods going to be a little long? I had that problem several decades ago with a hot small block I built for my sand Jeep. Probably a silly question as it seems you have this very well planned and thought out.
Thanks man. With the hydraulic lifters, a few thousands will not be a problem.;Sweet

Heath