More exhaust questions

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
So went to get my new truck its first emissions test (under me) and found out that you need an exhaust that exits behind the rear axle (currently ends under cab due to rust) so not only could it not be tested by planned side exit in front of the rear axle wont work. Anyone know where you can get a cheap 3.5-4" stainless exhaust that lets you keep the spare tire location and exits behind the axle? (or just the peice to go over the axle)

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the junkyard for the exhaust off of a 7.3 Powerstroke Superduty. Inexpensive and easy upgrade. That's the route I'll be going to quiet down my 6.9

kubotaorange76

Reaction score
what about the 97 ford f-150's that came factory with exhaust exiting in front of passenger side rear tire....and 2nd generation lightnings?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
what about the 97 ford f-150's that came factory with exhaust exiting in front of passenger side rear tire....and 2nd generation lightnings?

gasser vs diesel, completly diffrent testing equitment/stations/standards/requirments

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think the f-150 tail pipe is much smaller, gas tails are much smaller tail correct me if I am wrong .

I type slow LOL

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Slight resurection... was cruising around hypermax's website and stumbled on this (http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=45c9b6ab-92d0-41ef-9a98-6fb5278b7c0f), figuring I cant find a local shop to build an exhaust cheaply (Diesels are very rare in junkyards so a 7.3 PSD wont happen unless I obtain from someones non junkyard truck) would this setup work? (keeping in mind I have 0 history on previous mods done to this truck beyond the fact that its an ATS turbo)

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a full stainless system with a 3" powerstroke downpipe (modded for the stock ATS turbo), 4" piping and muffler, for like 290 shipped do my door. Was a diamond eye kit from thepartsbin.com

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Diamond eye kits are cheap on ebay for obs powerstrokes. I know in pa as long as it's past the passenger area it doesn't matter where it dumps.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Slight resurection... was cruising around hypermax's website and stumbled on this (http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=45c9b6ab-92d0-41ef-9a98-6fb5278b7c0f), figuring I cant find a local shop to build an exhaust cheaply (Diesels are very rare in junkyards so a 7.3 PSD wont happen unless I obtain from someones non junkyard truck) would this setup work? (keeping in mind I have 0 history on previous mods done to this truck beyond the fact that its an ATS turbo)

This was the kit I was going to save my $$ for. I have strait pipe exhaust on the '94 right now, but the wife really, really does not enjoy the cool crisp rumble when engine braking with the fifth wheel en' tow.

for what it's worth, I took my truck to an exhaust shop here in town where I live, was quoted $900 for a "cat back exhaust system" LOL

Clearly the SOB didn't notice the diesel sounds wafting under the hood when he looked the truck over... :eek:

And I guess the pipe was 3" gold plated hafnium ...

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
I picked up a full stainless system with a 3" powerstroke downpipe (modded for the stock ATS turbo), 4" piping and muffler, for like 290 shipped do my door. Was a diamond eye kit from thepartsbin.com

Looking through the tech articles it looks like al lyou have to do to modify it is change the top and possibly the bend? Any clearnce issues for 87-91's vs the OBS the article was done for?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online