More brake troubles

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a while back i was having issues with my brakes. well. I am now on my second replacement brake master cylinder and booster from advanced auto. The first replacement was leaking like crazy. now this second replacement is giving me the same troubles i had originally. The first time i hit the brake pedal its fine. the second time its hard as a rock. I was getting vaccum before, i intend to check it again.. Im not sure if its just another set of junk parts from advanced or what.. If i were to check the vaccum on my truck. can anyone tell me how and where? I dont have a gauge for it, and im sure no one around here does.

thanks for any help in advance

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start the engine, pull the hose off the booster, hold your finger over the end of the check valve, if it tries to suck your finger in, then you have vacuum. A light suction would indicate a vacuum leak somewhere, or your vacuum pump is going South, how about the belt to the pump.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start the engine, pull the hose off the booster, hold your finger over the end of the check valve, if it tries to suck your finger in, then you have vacuum. A light suction would indicate a vacuum leak somewhere, or your vacuum pump is going South, how about the belt to the pump.

how would i know what a "light suction" is? i really dont have anything to compare it to

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hose will fall right back off your finger. Normal vacuum will hold it there.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
On the vacuum line tree located under the hood; passenger side, firewall; there should be a open outlet with a rubber plug covering that outlet. Get any vacuum/ boost gauge from your local parts store, plumb it in to that open outlet. After plumbing in, crank your truck an allow it to build vacuum.

Now your reading should be in the area of 28 inches of pressure, that it the perfect number. I would say the higher the number the more chance, your vacuum pump is going/ gone out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now your reading should be in the area of 28 inches of pressure, that it the perfect number. I would say the higher the number the more chance, your vacuum pump is going/ gone out.

That is NOT correct. Vacuum is NOT pressure.
Vacuum is measured in inches of Hg. 29 inches is a perfect vacuum. His vacuum pump should maintain at least 20 inches of vacuum

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well taking the hose off from the booster, it holds a steady 25 lbs of vac.... so whats next? check the other end to see of the booster is holding a vac

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, i checked and there is NO vaccum on the booster. now how the hell do i get 2 replacements bad in a row?! and it looks like the master cylinder is leaking too again!.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly what you are finding out is whats going on today in the repair parts business. Figure the cheapest parts to repair something and what the failure rate is for that part sold and see what the returns are. Its all percentages of profit. The margins are getting very close too. Yes.. You could very well have gotten several bad parts. At this point I think I would pleasently ask for my money back. No need to go in there with a mad look on your face but a firm no bs look helps too.