Mopar C-body Spindles

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scored a good deal on a 1973 Dodge Monaco with only 63k on the clock for a couple hundred bucks. It's going to be an extra car just in case and occasional car show contestant.

Problem is this, the current owner (my barber) told me that Les Schwab told him that the right front bearings were gone (verified this with the noise while just slowly driving it up the block from his house) and that the spindle was all chewed up.

Now I"m cool with the fact that the bearings are gone, but having it ruin a spindle like what they LS says is a little hard to fathom. My old Jeep Wagoneer I had smoked some bearings on the right front and that was while driving 20 miles on bad bearings until I got home and the spindle wasn't bad.

Am I correct in assuming that any Mopar C-body from '65 to '78 is going to have the correct spindle that I need for this if indeed the spindle is toast? I prefer a good junkyard option really, much cheaper and I trust my own work better than any tire chain store.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact a local salvage yard. They should have those nice expensive Hollander interchange manuals that has all of this info in it.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my summation of the situation as well, just wanted to pick some brains on here to see if any of you dudes have any Mopar experiences in this regard.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Pulled the disc and lo and behold the spindle is just fine. The outer bearing was toast.

I"ll put in a new set of tapered roller bearings with lithium grease and put the whole thing back together this Sunday afternoon.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Pulled the disc and lo and behold the spindle is just fine. The outer bearing was toast.

I"ll put in a new set of tapered roller bearings with lithium grease and put the whole thing back together this Sunday afternoon.

:thumbsup: Bet that was a releif not having to dig further into the wallet.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah no joke. I will need to get a new washer to go under the spindle nut but that's no biggie. I will have to put in new brake pads but that's not going to take too long to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk