Moosestang upgrade hit a wall

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so some of you may recall I was starting the 8 lug upgrade on the Bronco to give it that heavy duty look. I was using the article I found HERE http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=198393 as a how-to. I spent $200 at the wrecking yard getting the parts that the article calls for, but upon stripping down my Bronco spindle, I find I have a serious problem.

You must be registered for see images

Obviously my bolt patern on my knuckle is no where near what those Chevy spindles require. I know this Bronco has the ill favored Top-Hat hubs, that were only used for about 2 years. I'm at a loss as to what is wrong here. Did I get the wrong parts, or is my Bronco different than the one in the article? The parts came from a chassis in the yard, that had no body. So I don't know exactly what it was, but it had a 6.2L diesel in it, so it had to be a 3/4 or 1 ton Chevy from the early or mid 80's.

sootman73

Reaction score
well not necessarily the 6.2 and 6.5 were put in 1/2 ton trucks and blazers, and yukons too. i had a 6.2 in a half ton truck. and then there were 3/4ton light duty trucks with 6 lugs and the heavy duties with 8 lugs. lots of variations from chevy.

which in your picture is what? and you said eight lug? i see six holes if thats the hub from a chevy to the left....

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That spindle will convert him to 8lug hubs, but there's something seriously wrong there. That spindle in the bronco looks to be SUPER tiny! This is a full size bronco front axle right? That looks almost like a front axle from a 4wd bronco ii.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ya should have taken that D44 setup when ya had the chance.;Really

Refresh my meory why they wouldn't work.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The D44HD and Dana50 IFS that are on our trucks have longer arms than what the Bronco requires, which is why an outright swap doesn't work. I'm going to post this on FSB and see what those guys say. I'm hoping if it is just a knuckle issue, that maybe I can swap that part out. Good point about the diesels in half tons, but this part is from an 8 lug truck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so some of you may recall I was starting the 8 lug upgrade on the Bronco to give it that heavy duty look. I was using the article I found HERE http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=198393 as a how-to. I spent $200 at the wrecking yard getting the parts that the article calls for, but upon stripping down my Bronco spindle, I find I have a serious problem.

You must be registered for see images

Obviously my bolt patern on my knuckle is no where near what those Chevy spindles require. I know this Bronco has the ill favored Top-Hat hubs, that were only used for about 2 years. I'm at a loss as to what is wrong here. Did I get the wrong parts, or is my Bronco different than the one in the article? The parts came from a chassis in the yard, that had no body. So I don't know exactly what it was, but it had a 6.2L diesel in it, so it had to be a 3/4 or 1 ton Chevy from the early or mid 80's.
mel-
the one on your bronco looks like the D44 found on a 73-77 chev.
i know where there is a spindle sitting on a shelf right now where I can get the dimensions posted. I remember looking over at broncograveyard and all the spindles listed were too big. I wound up getting them at a local wrecker and he lightened up my wallet severely.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FSB guys are telling me my spindle ends came from a 1 ton Dana 60. Ouch. I could have had that whole axle for $200 but didn't want it cause it would have been so freakin heavy, and I was in the Moosewagon. Looks like the parts I have now are only good to someone who is doing a dually to single wheel conversion. Nothing like setting fire to $200. :mad:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Tell me about it Mel. So far I've thrown almost $5000 down the toilet in my brown truck project.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man you guys are ******* yourselves. Mel just resell those parts, I spent over 600 on spindles and axles when I rebuilt my front end 3 yrs ago. You should be able to make some coins on those items.
Shaun, fix the thing and it wont be a waste. Plus I want to know what the hell went sour.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Lol, yea you and me both Russ. I'll figure it out.
Mel you can probably sell those pretty quick on ebay. I even think there were two members here looking for D60 SRW conversion spindles a few days ago.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Me - I would put a D60 under the Bronco....I have an itch to scratch for an IDI powered Bronco with a 10.25 posi rear and D60 front....The ideal plow buggy. I found the perfect $500 92 F350 4x4 Donor rig so now I just need 2 things: A Bronco with a decent body and the wifey to give me the time to do the conversion...LOL

fairlane_68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me - I would put a D60 under the Bronco....I have an itch to scratch for an IDI powered Bronco with a 10.25 posi rear and D60 front....The ideal plow buggy. I found the perfect $500 92 F350 4x4 Donor rig so now I just need 2 things: A Bronco with a decent body and the wifey to give me the time to do the conversion...LOL

+1 here. Most Bronco guys are doing that anyways, for the strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online