Moosestang Update

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Moosestang returned to the road last night after a 6 month period of non-use. Back in June, it somehow sucked a rag into the right front brake caliper, which started a downward spiral that ended in the "top-hat" style lockout hub melting. Ford wanted $270 for this part, and since the 87' top-hat axles are rare, and I had been wanting to convert to 8 lug for a while (for looks, and to standardize parts) I decided this was the impetus needed to get me started on that conversion project. I knew the back would be easy, but the front took me down a rabbit trail that was very painful, had a steep learning curve, and was financially distructive. I'll be doing a tech article on that, and when I publish it I will delve into the details on that. Suffice it to say, that the front now sports the Ford IFS that came on the truck, but everything from the knuckle out is done with a mix of Chevy and Dana parts, some speed shop stuff and many trips to Autozone, Advance, and Rock Auto. The difference in effort requred to do the front versus the rear is a dichotomy of unparralleled equal. The factory rear axle was swapped out literally, with the 3.08 axle that I got from Flatlander. Gotta love Ford's standardization. My test drive with the 3.08's was liberating. First gear is much more usable now, and there was no noticable loss of power. Before, the ol' girl would have to spin 2500 RPM's just to do the speed limit, but now I'll be able to keep the R's way down and zing along offering even greater danger to the BMW's and Audi's of the last half of my commute. I may even re-evaluate the need to install the ZF that I have waiting in the wings as my next enhancement to this ever different truck. If I do the manual trans swap, overdrive on top of the 3.08's will make this rig the lowest turning thing on the planet, as I suspect I'll be able to do the speed limit at 1200 RPM, with a top speed insanely dangerous in such a short wheelbase rig. After I get my tire and rim situation corrected (I have a mish mash at the moment) I'll post pictures. I also still need to swap out the front gears for a set of 3.08's that have been promised by another member here, but on which I am still waiting.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That's cool, there has been a lot of front end talk lately around here. It sounds like you once again have some good info coming our way. I talked about a coil sprung D44 TTB front end just recently, last nite as a matter of fact. Zf sounds like it too will become a reality.;Sweet Good luck.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Mel. 8 Lug D44 outers wouldn't go right onto the 5 lug D44? I was under the impression that all you had to do was swap from the ball joints out:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be able to give you some speed numbers after this coming weekend. This project has fought me at virtually every turn. Case in point, the set of 4 wheels with tires that I bought - are Chevy rims, that look like the Ford rims, but the center hole is too small, and they won't fit. So the back tires I have on it right now are not road worthy, and are only tires in the sense that they are round, and had once been made of rubber. Brad, the Dana 44 streight axle has more in common with the Ford 1/2 ton IFS then the Dana 44HD, which is under our F-250's. That is the axle from where my parts came, but you don't have to touch the ball joints. It is strictly a spindle swap.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly one of my favorites. ;Sweet

The ol' man.... truely my hero. I bought a leg lamp just so I could call it a major award. :D

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Certainly one of my favorites. ;Sweet

The ol' man.... truely my hero. I bought a leg lamp just so I could call it a major award. :D

:rotflmao

I would love to get my hands on a "major award"

My wife told me I could get one once we get a place with a garage... because that is the only room in the house I would be allowed to keep it! LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no no no... it HAS to go right in the main front window... :sly Just make sure there are no plants nearby.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still working on getting the gears to you. I won't fail you, I promise! :angel:

Who knew getting your master's degree would just consume your entire life?

mR

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda wonder if 3.08's or 3.27's or whatever would be a nice upgrade for my truck.

I have 4.10's now and they're honestly a little ridiculous for just driving to work and such. Even with all the hills here, I can use 5th gear from 40 mph on up. It doesn't even feel like overdrive on the highway.

Of course, since gear swaps cost an arm and a leg and I don't really have the facilities to do it myself right now, I guess it won't happen in the immediate future...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle