Moose Stang Mishap

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the birthday weekend was going really well. Today was sunny and warm enought to do some stuff, so I decided to wash and wax the Moose Stang as a birthday present for it so to speak. I had driven it Friday to work, filled up about 15 miles from home, then went home, then to Union Bridge, then back home, a good bit of it in the rain. It sat all day Saturday, as the weather was cold and wet, like so many of my birthdays have been that I recal. After the wax job, I loaded up the family and we went off to Strasburg to do some bowling, then stopped in Quarryville to fly Graham's Air Hog, and knock a baseball around a little. The truck was running really great, and I'm tickled to death with the sound, and the way it drives. It's a lot of fun. We left the ball field and started for home, and about a mile from the field, I felt the tell tale sign of an air bubble. I glanced at the fuel gauge. Still a little over half a tank. Almost three quarters in fact. The air bubble was persisting and the throttle was getting a mind of it's own. Not a good thing I thought, and as I pulled up to the stop sign, I felt the power steering get hard as it shut down. CRAP! I was just about in the middle of an intersection, but by the grace of God I was able to turn the wheel and drift into a large residential driveway. The folks didn't seem to be home, or at least they were not comming out to harrass me. I got under the truck and listened to the fuel pump (thank God I put in an electric!) I could hear that it was sucking air, and not getting a good flow of fuel. I could only summize that the pickup tube had broken off, pretty high up, and now I was too low to get the fuel out. To make a long story short, I called a friend, and after putting 10 gallons of diesel in it, I got it started and got home. Now though, I have a full tank of fuel I'm going to have to drain and then drop the tank. Figures. It was the only part of the truck that I didn't touch for this whole project. :rolleyes:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Of all the luck! I guess you'll have gotten to "touch" everything at the conclusion of this project though! :)

IDIeselman

Reaction score
I would like to feel sorry for ya Mel but I can't as I just came in the house from cutting my new dual exhaust off and removing my reese hitch so I too can drop the fuel tank, for a new sending unit is a must.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news is the pickup tube assemblies are still available and in stock. The Bronco guys say dropping the tank is not too bad a job. Worst part will probably sucking the 35 gallons out of it. At least Lady Moose says she's thursty.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Good news is the pickup tube assemblies are still available and in stock. The Bronco guys say dropping the tank is not too bad a job. Worst part will probably sucking the 35 gallons out of it. At least Lady Moose says she's thursty.

Don't sound too bad. And at least you have a container large enuf for the liquid gold to go in!!!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Agnem said:

Hee hee hee,Why did I just have a very perverted mental image after reading this. :Sly :angel: ;Sweet

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Agnem said:

sorry to here this glad you got it home, what did you do to the filler hole? and is that still a gasser pickup tube???
It must be great to have more than one diesel to swap fuel with???

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Aren't you running an electric pump? Would it be easy to disconnect? Let the pump fill the Lady Moose up, might be easier than siphoning.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Mel,
The steering really gets heavy when you lose power in the middle of a turn.

Glad you got it safely off the road, and fixed.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heavy would be one word for it.

Yes, all I did to the tank was cut the filler neck restrictor out. Turns out Lady was not as thirsty as I had hoped. I put 15 gallons in her, and then had to put 10 more in cans. I think I got about 2 in the driveway, as I was trying to unbolt the tank, and totally forgot about my siphon hose, until I heard the peeing sound, then it was rather comical as I tried to make a fast exit from under the truck, and got tied up in compressed air hose, drop light cord, with tools and what not flying everywhere. The 8 bolts that hold the tank shield on will not go gently into that good night, so Mr. torch will have a date with them tonight.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
When I worked @ the ford dealer we used to cut an access hole in the floor of the bronco right over the pickup sending unit fuel pump etc. to remove it. Then we made a little plate that screwed down over the hole so in the future you could get right in to it. I could put a fuel sender in one in about 30 min.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was one of the options presented over at FSB. However, I'm glad I dropped the tank. The sheild that covers the bottom of the tank, and also holds it up under there, is just about shot. I'm going to need to replace it, or better yet, just get a couple of straps. That sheild is good for nothing other than trying to rust out the tank from what I can see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online