Moose Pump Calibration

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure is impressive looking. Where can I buy one of those testers??? Ebay maybe???:D Just kidden... I really like pics that show something thats way beyond the garage type guys. If anybody has doughts about this Moose Pump forget them. Buy one and you wont be sorry. My towing three horses in a steel trailer didn't get much less than 13.5 mpg or maybe a little better. Now some of you know I run hard and fast. This trip was no differant. Outside temps were 110 degrees. Pyro was 600 to 1150 and the coolant saw 230 for very short periods. Mostly I saw an easy 210 and boost was 5 to 10 lbs as easy as just adding more throttle. When I saw 900 degrees I was at 8 lbs and about 3/8th throttle. Floored it and it went to 1000 degrees and held for a long time. Then it slowly climbed till I let off. No decrease in power was ever felt backing out of the throttle either. I really had to run by my coolant temps most of the trip so... When I get the aluminum Rodney Red in it this week maybe I'll run it harder. Mel stated the pump will really benefit from an intercooler. I have a new Hypermax sitting here but I need to get the coolant tmps under control. I have the pump turned down about 3/4 of a FULL TURN. Not just 3?4 of a flat. I have plenty of pump for this motor. Nice pictures Mel.. Thanks.

tractorman86

Reaction score
that's pretty interesting. thanks for the hard work mel!!! i hope to be buying a moose pump in the near future.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel those are outstanding....can you explain a bit "briefly" as to what is taking place?

Like what are those doo hickies that the lines go into that look alot like some kind of rack from a rack and pinion setup?

Is this a volume or pressure test?

Perhaps without giving secrets we could see some pics internally?

All in all I am very excited about the potential of a Moose pump for my setup once I get that engine in!....Damn AOD for Val's Bronco is hard to find cheap!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What part of "Don't ask questions" didn't you understand? LOL

OK, sorry I'm just busting your chops. I knew somebody was going to ask that question anyway. I wish I could give you an intelligent answer, but I'll guess what it is doing. each one of the lines that connect to where an injector would connect is going to a sort of test tube. Total volume and presure from each port is measured, and also the timing of the squirts. Because a single injection event would produce a small amount of fuel that would be hard to measure, total volume is measured in hundreds of strokes. I'm sure whatever it is doing, it is doing it as the result of spending lots of money. Of that I AM sure. LOL We got lots of internal pics from our own IDI Weekend in 2006 here.
You must be registered for see images

tractorman86

Reaction score
:eek: yea, i'm not taking one of those apart anytime soon... hey did i see a glow plug mixed in with the IP parts? mel's trying to confuse us guys:backoff !

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty obvious that the fuel volume and perhaps pressure are being measured and the results are what is proprietary. This sort of calibration equipment I bet runs well into the thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. One member here from the Chevy side told me he rebuilt his own pump and made a test stand to run the pump with an electric drill motor to measure volume, not nearly as precise as the right equipment but I thought it was pretty gutsy to do that and put it on his engine. Its funny how the GM guys seem to balk at the 300 plus dollar bill to get one of these things rebuilt right and some will just rebuild the pump and not worry about this sort of stuff. They suggest that if the pump just leaks its advisable to fix it yourself but if it really is messed up internally then its a job for an injection shop and get it properly calibrated. What if your pump works but just leaks from the advance piston or shaft seals? Is a rebuild and this calibration equipment still needed in you guys' opinion??

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been told that something like a worn advance piston can be repaired without having to go through a calibration, but for what it costs I like the peace of mind. My rebuilder gave me a more intelligent description of what your seeing in the pics, and what he said is each fuel line goes into what is basically a precision injector and then the calibrating fluid travels into a graduated cylinder moving a puck style piston downward for volume measuring purposes. The internal pressures are monitored via separate gauges. The black bracket attached to the side window of the pump actually has a timing pin that is measuring cam travel (i.e. advance movement). He can then measure pump output for any given speed as well as set up the idle speed and max RPM, control the torque rise, set up the automatic advance curve and light load advance and more.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seals and advance piston problems seem to be real common these days with people using substandard aftermarket shaft seals and burning all manners of fuel cocktails... that's why I ask about that. I'd say a machine like that could save you a lot of trouble on an overhaul and yes I think this stuff is out of reach for all but the most advanced DIY people, maybe for them too if you really want to do it right.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just the bills to keep that sucker calibrated would make you cringe. You don't even want to know what one of those things costs.
There is a reason good fuel injection shops have to charge what they do.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been told that something like a worn advance piston can be repaired without having to go through a calibration, but for what it costs I like the peace of mind. My rebuilder gave me a more intelligent description of what your seeing in the pics, and what he said is each fuel line goes into what is basically a precision injector and then the calibrating fluid travels into a graduated cylinder moving a puck style piston downward for volume measuring purposes. The internal pressures are monitored via separate gauges. The black bracket attached to the side window of the pump actually has a timing pin that is measuring cam travel (i.e. advance movement). He can then measure pump output for any given speed as well as set up the idle speed and max RPM, control the torque rise, set up the automatic advance curve and light load advance and more.

Why didn't you just say that to begin with?;Poke ;Poke :frustrate -Drool :Thumbs Up It would have alleviated all the NO question issue...rofl...Mel some people here are technoneedtoknowhowabsolutelyeverythingworksobsesivecompulsivemaniacscookoo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um... cause I didn't know it when I first posted. :moon:

:joker:

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Pump Test.

The pump is being run on a "pump stand". Which does all of those cool checks like was said. I went to Lincoln Tech. some 20+yrs ago and we had a full fledged pump room and they are an impressive looking machine. I think Diesel Fuel & Tune-Up was my favorite phase. I always loved getting inside of a pump and getting the most out of it. Working on all kinds of diesel engines and such. It was a great time. Now I get to work on the IDI, the PSD, my itty bitty kitty (lol) 3406E 685+hp now, and an occassional cumm-a-long at the VFD. Once in a while a Kubota.... Once in a while a Case-IH or a Deere tractor too. Still like working on the old school Detroit's too. And I still have 2 Mack trucks yet too. One with a V-8 Mack and the other with a ENDT675 - 250hp.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
He can then measure pump output for any given speed as well as set up the idle speed and max RPM, control the torque rise, set up the automatic advance curve and light load advance and more.
Mel, this is what I was getting at last time we talked about this. There is way more to it than just maxing the fuel delivery, as this tech seems to understand.