Moose pump and new injectors installed

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yesterday after work I decided to install new injectors on my engine. At 255k the original injectors are pertty much shot and it has caused a smoking issue on the highway. Since I was gong into that far I decided to go ahead and put on my Moose pump as well. I have been saving the Moose Pump and injectors for my 6.9 build but since that is taking so long I decided just to put them on the 7.3 for now.

The injectors I pulled out had a date stamp of 3-93 and are all stanadyne so they are for sure the original injectors. Cylinders 1-6 came out completely dry with a light gray ashy color on the tip. No carbon buildup to speak of. Cylinders 7 and 8 came out oily and wet and I believe they are the culprits here.

I got everything installed yeterday but upon firing it up the timing was way too advanced. By ear as I don't have a luminosity probe for my timing meter. I backed the timing off some but it's not enough yet. Today I had to drive to Charlotte to pick up my step daughter so I didn't finish it yet. I am anxious to get it done and on the road for a test drive.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the injectors where your issues then. Moosed it eh?:sly Please let us know how the testing goes.

Heath

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah we wanna hear where the chit-o-meter landed on the scale by the upgrade!;Sweet

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please install a butt dyno and let us know how she runs!

You must be registered for see images attach

mR

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I assume they are not the moose injectors? Thats too bad. I wanna see how those will do.

SWS

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hesutton is the only guy that has the moose misters installed as far as I know. A hot DB2 Moose or otherwise will help with or without the Moose Misters. First you're going to need a turbo though.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got to drive it this evening. This truck needs more ( ie bigger) turbo. It sure as hell runs much better than before but it will roll the coal like nobodys business. Needs alot more air. I am thinking a large compressor upgrade would be a good place to start.

Now if only my pyro had been working today (damn Autometer unreliable pyro) I could have seen how hot it's getting. Saw 9 lbs of boost without a load and smoking like mad. I am thinking this thing could make some serious power if the engine were ready for it. Studs, gaskets and a turbo that can clean up the exhaust it should be making decent power. Now I really want to finish the 6.9 and try to take advantage of this thing.

To those who followed the blue smoke thread it is gone. The clouds of blue smoke were from 2 leaking injectors. Fuel was exiting the cylinders unburnt and burning in the exhaust thus smoking blue.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it needs an IC until then the Moose needs to be turned down a flat or two. I also wonder what agenem thinks of using an aneroid smoke puff limiter on the Moose Pumps. In theory its adjustable so if you don't want the negative attention and waste of smoke for a DD then you could adjust it for no smoke and for the track or a toy you could allow the thing to black out the sun if you so desired. I have never used one so I don't know how well they really work.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David85 I am running a factory turbo with a new as of last september center section. I adapted a 3 inch downpipe to the stock turbine elbow. Boost prior to the Moose was 6 lbs max with a stock pump that I did not turn up. I am sure with as much smoke as I had I could stand to turn up the wastegate some.

JD I have a NOS 99 powerstroke intercooler for it. Just need to install it. That requires time which I really don't have right now.
Don't misunderstand me it doesn't smoke constantly just when you get into it. With a stock NA pump and a turbo it never smoked. Never got over 900 EGT's either. I'll be putting some road miles on it soon and get some better overall performance and mileage experience.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
David85 I am running a factory turbo with a new as of last september center section. I adapted a 3 inch downpipe to the stock turbine elbow. Boost prior to the Moose was 6 lbs max with a stock pump that I did not turn up. I am sure with as much smoke as I had I could stand to turn up the wastegate some.

JD I have a NOS 99 powerstroke intercooler for it. Just need to install it. That requires time which I really don't have right now.
Don't misunderstand me it doesn't smoke constantly just when you get into it. With a stock NA pump and a turbo it never smoked. Never got over 900 EGT's either. I'll be putting some road miles on it soon and get some better overall performance and mileage experience.

need to get your 6.9 done and get some nice turbos on there i think your engine has some potetial to make nice numbers with what your doing with you 6.9:sly

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the stock ATS wastegated turbo has enough boost to keep up with a Moose Pump based on other members experience and Dave Spounagle from FTE's wonder truck. You may be on the right track with needing an upgrade though I surely am not the most knowledgeable guy on turbos in fact you probably have me beat by a long way. I'm almost sure though I've heard of ATS WG turbochargers putting out a heck of a lot more than 9 psi with that much fuel. Maybe the WG does need adjusting, maybe it blows off at 9-10 psi, and even with stock bolts a 7.3 can probably stand more.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was talking with a friend yesterday who has a plethora of 7.3 powerstroke turbo's laying around. We were trying to determine whether the hot side of an early p stroke turbo is small enough to spool well on an IDI. That and using the better cold side from a 99 up p stroke and then compounding that with a modified factory ATS 093 turbo that has a larger compressor and wastegate delete. External wastegate would be used prior to first turbo in exhaust.

He wants my other 6.9 (not the one I am building)to put into a 79' f150 4x4 short bed so the trading floor is open. Turbo parts coming my way soon. We also discussed trying to use the cold side from a 6.0 turbo on the factory ATS 093. That probably wont work due to compressor surge if it would even bolt up. Short end of it is that getting the turbo right is going to be the determining factor on just how good it runs.

I know Barney (flatlander) had a compound using a powerstroke turbo and a stock turbo that made 18 lbs boost with the moosepump. I felt his downstream turbo was too far from the other turbo and was loosing too much heat from the exhaust. If I do a compound it's going on top of the motor right next to the other turbo. Out one turbine into the other. No Middleman.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah....but... Barney's setup made too much boost I think, he couldn't keep a set of heads on even with studs and I think wound up doing some wristpin damage. My opinion, a motor like that needs to have custom pistons, not lowered the usual way by shaving them, studs, and turbo rods and piston pins. I know all of that is expen$ive and if you want to make sick power it's probably easier and cheaper to do so with your 6.0

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$200 ebay SCT tuner and 6.0 makes sick power. But that's not the point. I am doing this because I enjoy it. There is something about a 6.9/7.3 that is missing from newer diesels. 5.9's never had it to begin with. There is a certain smoothness at cruising speed that to me is just amazing. Almost like a creamy/buttery intangible feel that makes you want to take a long, and I mean long drive. You know the 800 mile + drives.

So with that out of the way I want to make good power out of an engine that I like driving this much. Plus this whole build is for an engine so far super low budget. If you take out the Moose pump and injectors it'll be under $1k including machine shop work. Lot's of hours in it though so if I was paying to have it done it would not be cheap.