monroe gas magnum review (F-250)

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my truck still had the original shocks on it when I bought it. With 230,000 miles on them they were not working well, as a matter of fact the emergency brake cable had rubbed through one of them (crazy but true). So I got on amazon and bought Monroe gas magnum shocks for $30 a piece with free second day shipping. Installation was a snap, and the ride is perfect. It has made a huge difference and even made the steering feel a little tighter and more controllable on rough gravel roads. Some complain they are too stiff but I think the ride is fine.

Reaction score
The parking brake thing doesn't surprise me at all. Bit of a design flaw that the shock sits on the cable like that.

230K on the original shocks? Wow. I BET it rides better.

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have a larger-chested significant other and you really want them to not complain as much on long distance drives in your truck, try a set of Bilstiens on the truck. doesn't matter what make the truck is, they will complain much less about the ride quality on the interstates. if they are prone to ********, they'll quiet down for a short period of time until they hone in on something else.....but at least ride quality won't be one of them.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Bilsteins, they make our Jeep-thing actually quite pleasant to drive even at speeds it was probably never meant to reach. My 1-ton dually runs KYBs tho (as opposed to Monroes), and the D60 just floats over bumps as if they're not even there - even the utterly spoiled by air seats female companion approves of the ride, which in and of itself is a feat! Well, I should probably say she approves of the front suspension's ride quality, cause the moment the rear axle hits whatever road surface imperfections there happen to be everything not strapped down takes a flight - radio remote controller, Dew cans, said female companion's artificial enhancements, etc. LOL No shock would fix that tho, so naturally I'm being reminded of cabover air seats and ambulance rear suspension compatibilities with this truck quite often... But either is yet to magically appear at the door step ready for install :D Besides, bouncy-bouncy is kinda fun, at least to observe! :sly

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know the front shocks were actually still working, not as good as new but not totaled, might have been replaced by the dealer, usually when you see motorcraft shocks on a ford they are the original shocks but who really knows.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well courtesy of RockAuto and some Ford dealers who sell parts online we can still get Motorcraft shocks (or at least we could, haven't checked in a while), so it's entirely possible you were looking and a replacement set of OEM shocks. Cause, 230k on factory shocks, and they still hold gas charge, that'd be quite impressive.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya. They weren't perfect and were sort of gurgling but seemed to still damper. Like you said who knows. The Monroe's are awesome though. Love working on this truck vs. my TDI new beetle which is a nightmare.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love working on this truck vs. my TDI new beetle which is a nightmare.

yeah, I just did the wheel bearings, bushings and struts on all 4 corners of out TDI Jetta Wagon. My wife was happy, but I told her to wait until i send her the bill.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
When your shocks are toast, the Monroe's are a very good upgrade. $188 for all four was money well spent 'till I can get the Bilstiens.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I just did the wheel bearings, bushings and struts on all 4 corners of out TDI Jetta Wagon. My wife was happy, but I told her to wait until i send her the bill.
Yeah, I've walked away from the beetle more times than any other vehicle out of frustration due to the tight spaces and wierd set up. I rebuilt the top end of a diesel dasher in less time than it took to change the alt on the beetle.