Modification ?? Safe Boost numbers

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
Hey I'm thinking about putting an intercooler on myself, not buying the kit from Hypermax, my truck is a 93 with a Banks sidewinder turbo, I was just wondering what numbers as of cfm's should I be looking for?

Also I'm wondering what kind of boost numbers can I safely reach without adding head studs?

And my truck only has 80K original miles on it and the IP seems to be fine, so do you think I could reach those type of boost numbers with my stock IP? I would like to get a Moose pump and some injectors but I'm wanting to see if the truck will fit my needs without them. Also anyone know of a good place to buy high performance radiators for our trucks? :dunno

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
6.9 you probly dont want to go over 12, 7.3 about 15 i have herd of some people running 18-19 on a stock 7.3 but they got lucky

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
Mine is the 7.3 and thats what I thought I heard I'm puting in the intercooler because of the egt issue then I plan on turning up the IP. By turning up the IP it will automatically adjust the boost pressure right???? or do I have to mess with the wastegate?

Will I be able to reach 15psi with the stock IP?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
mine hits 10psi pretty easy with a stock pump now that i fixed my cross over pipe....and a banks sidewinder....and will occasionally hit 12-13psi if im really hard into it.

and i dont have an intercooler

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
Have you turned up your pump at all? The big reason for my wanting an intercooler is that I use my to pull camp trailer, Hay, and Livestock so alot of times I have to be careful going up hills because I see the egts hitting the 1000 deg, level and I start getting scared also ****** me off when I have to go 50mph in fourth gear going up a hill on the freeway and some Jack in a newer diesel blows by me carring twice the trailer.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i suspect its been turned up a bit by the previous owner but i have no way of verifiying that.

i get no smoke at all from this thing so it cant be turned up much...

some Jack in a newer diesel blows by me carring twice the trailer.

got to rememeber their trucks usually have more power then these old idi's and they can plug in programers and whatnot.

the idi is not the be all end all diesel but the beauty of them is in their simplicity,durability, and affordability.

my truck = paid for

which means i can throw alot of parts and diesel fuel at it for way less then any newer truck payment and insurance.

When im pullin im typically hauling a 16' 10k gvw equipment trailer and my suzuki samurai rock crawler.

the 3.54 gears are great for unloaded commuting but kills my mileage and power when towing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The wastegate will need to be tightened up for higher boost numbers. Look at it this way. The operation of a wastegate is as the turbo increases the boost pressure it gets to a setting number and then it opens a valve thats internal to the turbo. So turning up the pump wont make it boost much more if any. You need to add more spring pressure so the valve stays closed. Then at a higher pressure it will open. Look at the cold side of your Banks. Follow the pressure line from the cold side to the diaphram canister. Do not unhook that line and drive around. It will overboost and the heads will become something in your front seat...:eek:

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
my truck = paid for

which means i can throw alot of parts and diesel fuel at it for way less then any newer truck payment and insurance.

EXACTLY! ;Sweet Mine is paid off which means I could throw $700 a month into it and have a real nice truck rather than a monthly payment. My neighbor across the street has a nice Duramax, but a few weeks ago I came home to find it sitting on blocks because Les Scwab came and repoed the wheels and tires for lack of payment. :rotflmao He's ready to lose the whole truck to the finance company too. At least I don't have to worry about whether or not my truck is going to get repoed in the middle of the night before I go to bed.

Even though his truck has more hp and torque than mine, my IDI will run circles around his truck when that $50,000 Chevy is sitting on blocks with no wheels and tires... :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
Mines Paid for too thats why I figure I have a little room to play catch up with the HP, I've got the Banksturbo, soon the Intercooler, then possibly a moose pump depending on how I feel my power is, does anyone think its possible for me to be able to pull a loaded trailer lets say 12K gross weight without messing with the internals of my motor say 75mph then hitting hills lets say 6% grade and hold 65-70 currently I hit a grade pulling less weight than that I'm holding steady at 50mph?

My truck only has 80K original miles so I'm not too all enthused about rebuilding but I figure with my turbo system and an intercooler with the IP turned up maybe moose pump and injectors of some sort I could possibly do it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find a 7.3 powerstroke intercooler and cut the top 6 inches off of it and cap the holes , that will be plenty of IC, the lower. Plumb it up and you will lower the egt some. These trucks like to make heat when towing. So make sure you cooling system is in top shape. You need to take 10 mph off of your target with 12k.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I paid $1500 for my truck, and it needed nothing! I drove it the 150 miles home and haven't thought twice about taking it on a weekend long road trip. It's more reliable than anything I've owned before, and the insurance isn't too bad on it. It may not be able to drag a 10 ton load on the highway at 70 miles an hour uphill, but it's mine and like someone said before, the $700 a month truck payment isn't there, which means I can drive some serious parts into the truck when I want to.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised icanfixall didn't mention the Rodney Red radiators as a cooling system upgrade, between that and an MS-Tech fan clutch you won't have any cooling system issues, maybe even just one or the other would be plenty. Honestly I would still say 13 psi is plenty with stock head bolts even on a 7.3 and I doubt you will ever see 13 once it's intercooled. It's indeed possible with a Moose or similar "hot" pump but it would still take some serious standing on it. Also you'd probably be able to not worry much about EGTs if you leave the stock pump turned all the way up with the IC. I'm not intercooled but people have seen a serious drop in boost and EGT #s yet still much more power with an IC setup here.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Woo hoo, another Idaho guy. Where you at in Idaho? I have a tubo'd 93 as well. I just turned my pump up the other day. I'll be looking to adjust the WG soon for a couple more psi. You may want to check this site out, http://www.idahobombersforum.com/vb/index.php. It's a bunch of Idaho diesel owners, not a lot of IDI guys, but everyone tries to help each other regardless of make and model. It's nice to have someone local to lend a hand if needed.