mileage question

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#2 diesel from the 76 station + Ford additive in my truck (Check my signature) I'm getting 17.1 on almost every tank. 65 down the freeway is 20 pretty easy. Off brand fuel usually does horrible things to fuel economy. If you're running 35's then there's a lot more weight to turn but you're effectively changing the gearing in the rear end so I'd tend to think that there is something wrong if you're anywhere near 10 or 11 mpg empty.

Your odometer could be throwing your mpg numbers if it isn't corrected for the larger tires.

You quoted my post, so I guess you are talking to me. I am getting 15mpg with a 4 inch lift and 35's, so I think that is pretty good. If I took all that off, I might get 17mpg, not sure. 19 is awfully high for the others though.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mels boy has or had a half ton didn't he? iirc it could pull 25-30mpg

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage claims are the most OVER-INFLATED statements ever made in the diesel realm. I constantly have people tell me they are geting 24 mpgs with their new duramax or cummins which is just rediculous. It must have something to do with the fact that we tend to pay a premium for our diesels and have to feel good about it.

Ive had every diesel peickup made(with the exception of the newest ones) and lifetime averages are always around 15-16 mpgs. Sure, Ive seen 20 plus mpgs but thats on a LONG straight highway trip with no stopping. That probly accounts for less than 10% of the average persons day to day driving though.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
guy at work that is looking for a 5.9 CR ctd said he found stuff on the internet that said you can get 27mpg from a cummins with a mileage tune. i laughed, told him to have fun with that, and walked away. it like those new maxipads claiming low 20's when towing....

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you all getting these great numbers? My running average is 12.1.
Big fish stories lol
Around town I get 10 > recently on a 120 mile hwy trip I got 15.
Long time ago I do recall getting low teens local and 20 hwy...who knows what happened :dunno

Last edited:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much has to do with how you drive and the tuning of the truck. The best I have ever (in 6 years of driving) been able to get out of my truck is 19.2mpg highway. I bought a camper unexpectedly last Fall when I was at the beach and talked my dad into driving my truck the 700 miles to pick it up. The first thing he said when he arrived, "1 averaged 21 mpg."
I get good mileage out of my truck because I drive like an old man, but when a real old man gets behind the wheel the mpg's improved more. "Hurried road trips I get 15 to 17.
On the return trip from the beach I was in a hurry and chasing my wife who was driving ahead of me. With the 35 foot trailer driving like a bat out of hell I managed 9.2 mpg. That was running 4th gear mostly 23-2600 RPM.