Mid 20s boost IDI !

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, if you say so! But instead of re-inventing the wheel, I guess ford should have just updated the 6.9 with a turbo and ran more boost! I think you also are missing the point I am making, you keep referring to stock everything but your rig...so why are you allowed to make improvements and they aren't. And while I don't really want to doubt you, I have driven turbo'ed 6.9/7.3 IDI's, have a neighbor who used to pull them, etc. and had no problem rebuilding a motor weekly, and I'll blame him - he calls ********! Oh, and he owns an OBS, a 6.0 and two cummins as well as two pulling tractors, both IH and one is running alcohol! He has forgotten more about diesels than I will ever know.

Who am I to say, I have an NA 6.9 and while it runs great, pulls strong, I have ran empty beside all of his trucks loaded and gotta tell ya, it aint even close to up to the task. Don't get me wrong, I like the simplicity of the IDI, which is the reason I have one, but I just don't see it running with any of his trucks, sorry to doubt, but I do! I help him move hay and do farm work, my 860 Ford tractor stands as good of a chance of outrunning any of his trucks as my 6.9 does. And I guess by longevity, I mean, 100,000, 200,000 miles or more. Who would buy a diesel at the added expense, without expecting longevity from it. The added expense of just maintaining a diesel (12 quarts of oil versus 4-5) alone justify the a need for it to last.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's getting 20 plus psi with an ATS/factory turbo????:dunno The wastegate was hooked up in the photos I saw. Has he modified the turbo? If so, I didn't read about it. This is his 5th motor huh.....wish I knew what failed on the other 4.

Heath

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone could or would make pistons for the 6.9 engine with the 7.3 Turbo wrist pin bore so that one could build an 6.9 even stronger yet to handle that level of boost.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got no quarrel with anyone who wants to own a PSD or newer truck. They are very good, and capable of making WAY more horsepower with some plug and play mods than any IDI. Yet you can have something a little more unique if you build up an IDI to run close to any of the new engines. You can have more hands on time with the build and what not, but as a machinist I know you've had plenty of hands on time already. About the turbo pistons, I cannot be sure, but I've heard that Mahle offers turbo upgrade pistons for the 6.9, and that they can be had through diesel direct, and probably through other shops as well.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got no quarrel with anyone who wants to own a PSD or newer truck. They are very good, and capable of making WAY more horsepower with some plug and play mods than any IDI. Yet you can have something a little more unique if you build up an IDI to run close to any of the new engines.

At least one of you guys isnt delusional. ;Really

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Dave had a run of bad luck with Store bought rebuilds. That's when he decided to build his own. Just mention Reviva and He'll tell you of his troubles.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks, I don't know what I'd do if I got a run of bad reman engines...it would either be slamming my own head against the wall or wanting to chew somebody from the remanufacturer out. However, he's asking a LOT out of his engines that they were never designed to deliver.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I am not too shocked that Dave S hasn't strayed from his home base. I quit going over there a long time ago partly due to the hero-worship/guru status dispensed on the guy.
FTE was the first forum I found when I bought my first IDI about 2 and a half years ago. Glow plugs stopped working, no start, early winter in Winnemucca Nevada. Long couple days between Sacramento and Salt Lake. Pete aka CDNsrguy sent me some excellent troubleshooting info and I fixed it on the road and was back on my way. That was the beginning and end of any good experience I had over there. I found OB soon after. End of story.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like re-inventing the wheel, the challenge is the fun part for me. For refrence, my last high performance gas engine before my 460 truck was an extremely built 300 I-6 that both the truck itself and the engine went through many many states of change(truck was swapped to 4x4 and back twice to start...) It saw twin turbos, it saw a 4-71 blower, it saw 7K rpm... In it's final N/A state, it put 230/330 to the wheels. And, very little of what I did to that engine was bolt on, or tried and tested. I'm not out to make miracles happen, just to do something off the beaten path and make some decent power while I'm at it.

As for my truck, where exactly did I say anything about it being stock, other than I want to try running 20+ psi with stock compression?
My injection pump, which unfortunately is starting to die(advance is sticking now and then) was built at a semi local pump shop, it's based on a turbo pump, I don't have exact specs on it, as I picked it up used, but, I do know the original owner quite well, and I know it DEFINITELY is not a stock pump in fuel delivery or advance curve, and I turned it up 1/2 of a turn from where it was set when I got it when I put the turbo on. My injectors are G codes, my timing, well, to be honest, I set it by ear and road testing to find where I made the most power without it sounding like it was going to explode. I still have head bolts in it, but, I'm not replacing those until I lose a head gasket.
I may re-build one of my spares with lowered compresion and the whole 9 yards, but, I don't have access to a machine shop like I used to, and if cost exceeds what putting in a CTD would, well, that will happen instead.

I'm not claiming miracles here, I'm not claiming to be able to take out modified newer trucks(noone around here has those anyhow,) I'm claiming that my old girl, which for one thing is probably 1000LBS lighter than an OBS PSD of the same spec(that's the figure that fits an F150vs a newer one) and a good bit more than that less than a Super Duty, makes enough power that it is comparable to a stock 325 hp engine in front of a slush box. Compared to the 05 we have at work that I drive frequently, my truck, due to how the power comes on, and having a manual, feels like it has about double the power, but that's due to it not being nice and smooth; and just kicking you in the pants when the timing and boost come in right around 2000.

As doe Dave S's engine failures IIRC, the stock 6.9 made it to 300K, then he put in a re-man(Reviva) 7.3 with sleeved cyls, while still under warranty it had a liner drop and bad things happened, a second did the same(neither made 30K miles IIRC.) After getting clear of that hassle, he bought a JY 6.9, and I believe that made it a couple or three months and broke a rod, warranty got him another longblock, and he built the one he is running now out of that.

Last edited:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I don't see the point in bashing 82F100SWB personally i agree with him, although i don't understand most of the complex engine stuff. I love working on my truck though. if you want to be lazy and play it safe then thats fine but some of us like to live on the wild side and push the limits every once in a while and bashing dave s isn't right either, i frequently visit FTE and he is respected for his knowlege which he has much to give. I like to put just the way i have posted many times

It's just great to get in the left lane and blow smoke on all the sorry son of a b**ches who said you drive an old POS that you couldn't get anything out of

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My truck will have an OBS from 0-30mph for an auto, maybe a little more for a 5 speed truck, but its just once they get there turbo's spooled up, there gone.

My parents 6.4 would have my truck, 0-60 is in like 7 seconds or something redicoulous for a 8500pound rig that is stock. Boosted lauches will result in like a 6second 0-60mph, trust me I've done it ;Sweet though I'm guessing on the time, but it seems about in that area.

Now once I get some good injectors in there (I'm thinking mine are stock, one of them isnt good, dribbles fuel so I have a tick), once I get those done, an intercooler, head studs and new head gaskets, and Moose pump I should be pretty set to be eating stock OBS PSDs :D . I might even try some LP :eek: .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess that explains why Dave doesn't like sleeved 7.3s. Quite a few people have lost them. It usually has to do with a machine shop not knowing what they're doing. The bore has to be stepped so the sleeve doesn't pop out, or so the more machine shop savvy folks here tell me. Its hard to find a good machine shop but you'd expect better from Reviva/Dealers. Oh well... 82 I do believe you about your pump. There are quite a few pump builders who'll build tweked injection pumps. Towcat, ttman4, and others have found some of those guys.... of course that's basically what Ken and Mel are doing, but with a little more R&D. I've looked a bit locally for a tweaked pump builder, but one guy basically said I was dumb for even believing you could get anything out of a DB2 beyond what the screw would let you get. I need to look elsewhere, but the truth is I've been too poor to spend money on something like that when I have a perfectly functioning stock IP, plus I'm not anxious to tear that thing out again. last time I did it it would like to have killed me and I still had to take it to a diesel shop to have them chase down some more fuel leaks...lazy I know but between school and work it was costing me to have it down.