Mechanical Piston Style Lift Pump

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone on here talked about a mechanical piston style pump that was much more durable than the old diaphram pump. I was wondering where they got this and how much it was. I figure a pump like that would be a lot better for running WMO, or is a high quality electric pump the best?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ive never heard of a piston pump for a lift pump but sounds cool id like to know more
i have that carrier refer unit lift pump i dont have it installed yet because im gathering up the funds to re do my fuel system before the ip im going to set it up with some fleetgaurd filters an fs1000 10mic and a ff5319 2mic basically what im running on my wmo filtration device

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone on here talked about a mechanical piston style pump that was much more durable than the old diaphram pump. I was wondering where they got this and how much it was. I figure a pump like that would be a lot better for running WMO, or is a high quality electric pump the best?

182,000 miles and 20 years on the (second) oe style lift pump...seems pretty "durable" to me.
But sure lets hear about this piston pump.;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Piston lift-pumps are quite common in the Cummins world.

I have replaced the diaphragm-pump on my Cummins with a piston-pump and have most everything I need, including the pumps, to also convert the son's and wife's Cummins trucks to the piston-pump.

Piston-pumps are completely rebuildable, have no diaphragm to rupture and dump fuel into the crank-case, and delivery pressure is changable by swapping a spring.

I am somewhat surprised that there are not any piston-pumps being used by this crowd.

Surely they are available for the International.:dunno

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have explained what I meant by "durable" more, but for WVO, and probably WMO, anything thick, a lot of people recommend an electric pump which eliminates the possibility of diaphragm rupture, which is a lot more likely when stressing the pump with thicker fuel (WMO), and WVO can eat the diaphragm.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
upgraded to a carter pump similar to the holley red and its working well for me thus far. i would like to hear about any more options also.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What actually forces many old IDI engines to switch to electric pumps is the cam-lobe finally wears away until it no longer works the pump-lever sufficiently to pump a good flow of fuel.

Many are plagued by this and the owner not even aware until it finally just quits pumping.

Another good argument in favor of plumbing in a fuel-pressure gauge, the absolute most important gauge that can be found on a diesel engine.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And about at what mileage does this occur?

It varies according to the quality of lubricants and which day the cam was hardened and polished.

Usually they are good for around 300,000; my old 6.9 with half-a-million still operates the pump, though I have seen it happen with barely 200,000.