md historical tags

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone in Maryland familiar with historic tags? I am doing a lot of work to a truck I am going to be doing snow plowing with not quite ready for Maryland state inspection but was going to get historic tags since you do not need an inspection and then when the truck is done take it through inspection and get regular tags

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on my research, don't get caught with a snow plow on. They don't like that much. Officially, historic tags are for like car club events and stuff. Everybody abuses that it seems. Also seems that generally the man wont bother you just driving around but if you have a trailer on or are actually using the truck for like making money... its a big no-no.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For many many years, you were prohibited from using the vehicle in any capacity other than shows, events, or "occasional" pleasure driving. Oh, and to and from a shop. But there was no penalty clause in the law. So you could do anything that you wanted on historical tags and the most the state law enforcement folks could do was to inform you that you weren't allowed. But no tickets could be issued because there was no penalty statute.

That all changed two years ago. Now, it's a $140.00 fine for towing a trailer with a vehicle bearing historic plates. Ask me how I know. And then I got stopped by a different State Trooper the following day. It wasn't that hard to get the truck through inspection. And I got it taken care of quick.

Now I suppose that it may be easier and cheaper to put that $140.00 towards parts for repairs and get regular plates.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I have heard the md state inspection can be a real bear to deal with. I was just informed that a fuel like from my lift pump will fail also

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a google search for the form. I had a picture of it at one time. If you can find it, it is basically the checklist you have to pass. Just like anything else, where you take it probably will have as much to do with it as anything. I don't have a "guy" local anymore so its been challenging. I'll see if I can dig up that picture.

Edit: Here it is. Not sure how current it is but it might be useful.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great thank you a lot for posting that I will take a look and see what all I will need. Yes there were a few guys lol around here but have not been able to really find anyone. As I have heard they have crack down on it