Maxing out the fuel screw?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
That good hu Rob? Sounds like something that I am gonna have to look into,....

You are an inspiration to us all,.....that, or just a bad influence :Sly

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
argve said:
Just to let you know Ken is the one that started saying that. I got that directly from him at the IDI event when everyone went to the races.

There isn't really much flex in the leaf spring, it has a flat surface to tension against which allows additional extension of the cam rollers.
Pretty sure I heard someone propose that the rotor plungers might jam from traveling that distance out of their bores, but like others here, I've had pumps fully bottomed out without consiquence other than bad ass smoke with no turbo underhood.
On the other hand if your pump had high hours, or some dirt going through it it could sustain damage easier with the little plungers that much further out of their bores in the rotor, but whose going to worry about that :Sly
Lorne

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
It was my impression that that adjustment was "very sensitive" and that 1/4 turn was A LOT. I am curious, how far from bottomed are you finding the screw is originally? Again, I have been misled by "Conventional Knowledge".

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you throw "conventional wisdom" out the window, you need to take a look at what's been done to the motor. Not only has a turbo been added, but an IC has been added too. Not to mention some guys have both and propane and/or water injection. Basically, with all those items added on, bottoming out the feul screw and backing off a hair, can be done with a eyeball superglued onto the pyro. I need to get around to putting in my pyro, so I have everything backed off to keep from melting down the motor on the latest truck. So take the info with a grain of salt and do plenty of research on what each of us have done to our trucks. Otherwise, you'll find your limits the hard way like a cetain goat did....... :rotflmao :rolleyes: :rotflmao

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
How much can you turn the screw (or should you turn the screw) N/A.... I don't want tons of smoke and kill my mpg! I would like just a shade more power until the turbo can manifest it's self down the road!
Hoss....

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Doggy Daddy said:
Very Cool! I think it's great that the limits are still being explored.

So how far from bottomed is the screw in a stock pump?

I can't answer that question for sure, but a ball park guess for a NA engine might be about 1 turn. Regardless, there won't be a lot of inward movement possible on a NA engine without consiquences, smoke, heat, cylinder wash, and component stress. I'm a firm believer in these engines, but I don't buy into the "bombing" treatment so many gravitate towards (beyond reasonable turbo/ AC/ etc.). Too many orifices in the heads, they crack easily and there aren't a surplus of cores out there anymore.
It's a "quart of milk", some guys figure its a bottomless container, but chugging it down fast will get you to the bottom sooner than you'd hope.
Just an opinion and I'm sure others will be looking at it from the other side of the fence.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to remember that the fuel is controlled by your foot, not that screw. All the screw does is open the door wider for your foot to step through. :Sly