Marker lights come on when keys is on

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Alright, I just recently installed the lmc relay harness which I had planned on doing sooner but kept putting it off.
I was smelling that hot wire smell so I pulled the switch out and the plug was melted pretty good.
I took the wires out one at a time and heat shrinked them and installed them on the switch.
Everything seemed fine until I went to head home. Was at dads while doing this.
When i turn the key on the dash lights and running lights come on.
I know I am going to have to trace it out and fix it but thought I'd post it to maybe get some tips and advice.
I hate messing with wiring so I am not looking forward to this!

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
heh i had the same problem when i put in a new headlight switch but when i went to fix it, it seemed to fix itself so i gave up on trying

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the switch back out and find the tan/white wire. Undo this wire, and then see if the problem goes away. This is the wire that goes from the fuse in the fuse box to the switch to feed the running lights/dash lights. If the problem goes away(of course with this wire disconnected the running lights will not work at all), more than likely the tan/white wire has gotten hot and melted into another key-on hot wire.

If you find this is the case, you can either unwrap the harness and find the problem, or abandon the original tan/white wire and run another from the fuse to the headlight switch. This tan/white wire is famous for getting so hot it burns in two and the running lights go out altogether.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Alright I found it and fixed it. It was my fault it was doing this.
I had discarded the connector all together since it was melted and put heat shrink on them and just plugged them in. Well there is one wire end that could make contact on a spot between pins. So I went hunting and found a connector in stock at azone. No more problem.
I think it would have worked had that little piece of copper not been there.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I found it and fixed it. It was my fault it was doing this.
I had discarded the connector all together since it was melted and put heat shrink on them and just plugged them in. Well there is one wire end that could make contact on a spot between pins. So I went hunting and found a connector in stock at azone. No more problem.
I think it would have worked had that little piece of copper not been there.

Honestly, I don't think that you fixed your real problem; you just wiggled the wires enough to make the problem go away for awhile.

Take the switch back out and find the tan/white wire. Undo this wire, and then see if the problem goes away. This is the wire that goes from the fuse in the fuse box to the switch to feed the running lights/dash lights. If the problem goes away(of course with this wire disconnected the running lights will not work at all), more than likely the tan/white wire has gotten hot and melted into another key-on hot wire.

If you find this is the case, you can either unwrap the harness and find the problem, or abandon the original tan/white wire and run another from the fuse to the headlight switch. This tan/white wire is famous for getting so hot it burns in two and the running lights go out altogether.

What ^ he ^ said.

There is nothing about the head-light switch/connecter that has anything in common with the KEY-ON circuit.

That tan wire is a truck-burner for sure and is just waiting for the right moment to set things ablaze.

First, it melts itself out of it's insulation, then it burns it's way into places it shouldn't be. :eek:

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
There is a wire on my switch that is hot with the key on. I used a multi meter to check every wire. I test for continuity between them all and got nothing.
I was able to turn the lights on or off at will with that one wire by pushing it all the way down and pulling it back up to where it couldn't make contact.
I recently saw a truck on cl that had a fire that looks to me like it started in the vicinity of the headlight switch so I was very worried about it. If I couldn't have made it happen at will like that I would have the truck torn apart looking for where that tan wire had melted.
I turned all the lights on and left them on for a good long while, keeping watch the entire time. That tan wire didn't even get warm.
If I even get a hint that it is doing something again I will be tearing into it.
I may do it anyway just to be dang sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle