Manual Trans Swap-How Hard-Cost?

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I searched for this but couldn't really find an answer. I have found an 89' diesel truck parting out in my area and it's a 5-speed. So I called and talked to the guy for a while and told him I was interested in everything to put his tranny in my truck which would include tranny, fly wheel, clutch, pedal assembly, steering column, dash gauges, and cross member. He told me I could have all that for $500. So my questions are is this a good price and from someone who has done this swap how hard is it and is it worth it? If I do the swap anything I should look out for or anything else I should pull off the donor truck like drive Shafts maybe. Right now I have a C6 and am not happy with 2600 RPM to go 65. So my options are buy this and swap it in or keep looking for a Gear Vendors. What do you guys think?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
ClassicIDI said:
He told me I could have all that for $500. So my questions are is this a good price

My question is for $500 why havn't you already purchaced it? That is a killer price! Yeah, if the truck is the same wheelbase as yours grab the driveshafts!

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parts truck is a regular cab 4x4 and mine is extra-cab 4x4 so will I need new drive shafts? Also will my transfer-case bolt up to this tranny? I think I can get it all for $400 and he is willing to let me have the truck for a couple days so I can pull all the parts at my shop instead of in a parking lot at his work.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
That throws a wrench into the plans.Is the parts truck a 4x4?If not you will need to change the tailshaft of the tranny.

aaklingler

Reaction score
go for it, while your at it you might as well get the transfer case and at least the front drive shaft and the hump, pretty soon you might as well by the whole truck and keep it for parts. You sould be able to get the job done within a week, depends how much time you have to work on it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me double-check. Both your truck and the donor truck ar 4x4's?

If so, you can re-use your transfer case, and therefore won't have any U-joint issues...and, unless the ZF is a different length than the C6, you should be just fine using your original driveshafts.

For $500, assuming the tranny's in good shape and isn't in need of a rebuild, that's a darn good price! I paid $500 just for my tranny, and I bought it knowing it needed to be rebuilt.

Unless the clutch assembly is almost new, I would suggest buying a new clutch if your budget allows...you can get a LuK SMFW kit for around $600, and shouldn't have to worry about anything for a long time.

If he'll let you have his truck long enough to do the swap, I would go that route...this way, you can snag any "nickel-and-dime" items that you may not think about at first.

IMHO that sounds like a heckuva deal...certainly far less than I paid for the parts to do my swap. Including the initial cost of the tranny, the price to rebuild, a clutch, and other parts, I went over $2K on my swap (and that was going from a T-19, so I didn't even have to worry about auto-manual stuff like the steering column). It was really more $$ than I had, but IMHO it was worth every penny.

Just my $.02...good luck!!

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well sounds like I will be buying at least the tranny. I think I Could ge the whole truck for around a $1000 he said it has a good 7.3 in it but the banks turbo kit has already been sold off along with the bed. other than that I think its a whole truck. It was a customer truck that was never come back for so he does not have a title but only a registration. It was posted on here as a few days ago as a Denver parts truck.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. If he has not filed the Mechanic's lien and obtained title to the truck, he is essentially selling stolen parts.

That's why the stuff is cheap, he's trying to make the truck "disappear" without getting caught. It doesn't matter how much is owed on the truck, until he executes the lien and obtains clear title, the parts are not his to sell.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what he said it sounded like he had gone through some legal action to obtain rights to the truck. I don't know if this is true or not but he did offer me the vin number when I asked about buying the entire truck.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he had legal rights, he would have the title.

To get a title on a mechanics' lien, the shop must file paperwork with the state, and pay the value of the vehicle minus what they are owed. The state then gives them title, and the balance of the money goes to the original owner.

You might ask how a shop can keep from losing money, well the shop can charge storage which is higher than their expenses.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to look at the truck tonight and I will find out exactly whats going on. Hope it turns out ok because you guys have me thinking this is an awsome deal and I would be crazy to turn it down.

sassyrel

Reaction score
warden--the transfer case--and the front driveshaft will work--the rear needs to be lengthened--his is extended cab--donor is standard--than again--his driveshafts of off his should switch over now that i think about it--unless theres a gvw difference--and the u joints area a diff size--

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so the truck is legit the guy owns a towing company and bought the truck from the owners because they didn't want to pay for the tow. I am picking the truck up on monday to take all the parts off. Anything else I should look for when doing this swap? I am taking the fly wheel/clutch, dash gauges, steering column, tranny, and pedals. Any advice from someone who has done this swap would be great.

sassyrel

Reaction score
rear trans mount crossmember is diff--know this from past posts