Making an intake...

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far this is what I have. Still thinking of where to go with it. Feel free to give me your opinion.

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 59

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a opinion, I'm just curious how your going to finish it since I have the same set up.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i would make one coming straight from the turbo. its 3" diamater iirc. would make more sense to me eliminating the factory air box

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I eliminated my banks air box and made a 4" intake, pics are in the gallery ;Sweet

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
rhk, you have a thread on how you did that? I have the same huge box and i like how clean your intake is. Plus i think i have boost leaks where the box meets the manifold. Don't have a gauge yet so idk....

What kind of boost do you get?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure on boost, my gauge is defective. No real thread on it either most people said i should go for cold air, even though thats a short ram-air intake for several reasons. EGTs are great I see up to 300 in town, up to 575 highway. Usually less on both :eek:. After the switch the turbo spools faster, you can actually hear it now too :rotflmao (moreso than before). Direct airflow versus the banks maze-box dirt sucker.

Take the elbow off the back of the banks airbox that feeds into the turbo, boil some water and stick the big end in it and have a clamp ready to go if you stretch it onto 4", i think that elbow is 3 or 3.5" and it reduces. I'm using a spectre air filter currently, but soon I might swap to a 6637 or something else :dunno;Sweet. Only thing you gotta figure out is a intake hat, it wouldn't be too hard to make one or adapt one - I used an ats intake hat.

The hole is the same size as a carbs' aircleaner so i used that gasket to seal the hat to the intake.

For an intake hat I was gonna try this: Find some 5" pipe, weld a piece of flat on top after drilling a small hole for the bolt, cut a hole & weld a 2" pipe or whatever your turbo out is sized at and you got a hat:dunno

---
pictures here: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=540 and I'm always willing to take more if needed.

Also I think it looks good sofar, if you like that type of filter housing. I would clean up where the stock 'cold air intake' hole is, get more airflow going. If you do like that filter setup you could also do a cowl intake setup, less piping!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make a right turn, go through the fender and make a snorkel.:sly
Just kidding I'm thinking about doing that but I've got to move the windshield washer fluid res. & the radiator overflow.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I might see if ive got stuff laying around to make an intake hat then....got some chrome 5" pipe somewhere....lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Install the hypermax cowl induction setup is what I would do. Your filter box is nearly perfect for that system now..:sly

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think theres room to do a cowl intake on my truck. The clutch master ect takes up alot of the room on my firewall. You can kind of see it in the picture.

My old filter was uncleanable so I took it out of the box. Cut the rubber outside edge off then put the lid for the box back on. Once I get an intake hat I will remove the ATS box. I put a filter on the front that sits between the battery and radiator. Its pulling from the same location as the stock intake duct as well as below through the grill. You can hear the turbo more now. Went up to the ski resort and it ran like a champ egts where normal. The hill to powder mtn is steep.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think theres room to do a cowl intake on my truck. The clutch master ect takes up alot of the room on my firewall. You can kind of see it in the picture.

My old filter was uncleanable so I took it out of the box. Cut the rubber outside edge off then put the lid for the box back on. Once I get an intake hat I will remove the ATS box. I put a filter on the front that sits between the battery and radiator. Its pulling from the same location as the stock intake duct as well as below through the grill. You can hear the turbo more now. Went up to the ski resort and it ran like a champ egts where normal. The hill to powder mtn is steep.
Last time I looked it appeared to me the box was separate from the hat. I have the 088 kit.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't really see the area that the hypermax cowl set up would go but that's one route I'm really thinking about doing. The other is using a tube like what you got but straight to the turbo with a filter on the end and going to a road draft tube to eliminate the cdr which I'm considering way.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
That factory ATS box is a joke for an air intake. On my 94' I took some 4" exhaust piping put a 90 degree bend into the turbo. ran it across to the a/c compressor and a 75 degree down between the PS pressure hose and the a/c compressor with a nice 4" filter. used a 4" hole saw and cut an air hole just in front of the filter through the radiator support crap. I noticed a immediate difference in power and the EGTs were quite lower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online