major power surge!!

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do it quick enough you can keep driving on the other tank no problem. When I switched back to the original tank once i filled it again, it still had a little air in the lines so I got some more surges. As long as you are driving along you shouldn't have a problem.

Spencyg

Reaction score
OK, so there is a potential of killing the engine by running out of fuel. It seems like the "roadside" repair for air in the lines would be pretty intensive. This old 6.9L has been so reliable that I haven't had a chance to get in there and mess with anything yet....I'm of course not complaining about that though!

What is the process for a roadside line bleeding? Tools necessary?

Spence

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no proceedure necessary. The "survivability" of getting the air out will depend largely on your ability to keep the engine turning during the fuel outage. If you have a manual trans, and you feel your running out of fuel, don't push in the clutch unless there is no other fuel supply on-line. If you can switch to another tank to draw fuel, then the air will go away on its own and hopefully momentum will carry you through. If you fall into the unfortunate situation of running the lines dry and have a mechanical pump, the amount of cranking required will be extremely painfull. This is one of the best reasons to upgrade to an electric fuel pump. With a mechanical pump you have to crank to get fuel to the engine, and this process exacerbates the problem, because while your fuel pump is sucking fuel from the tank, your wringing the very last drops of lubrication from the IP and running it dry. If you have an electric pump, you can keep the engine stopped, run the fuel pump, open the schrader valve to get fuel to the IP, and then just crank a little and you should be on your way. On a hot motor, bypass the cold temp sensor (just pull off the plug and jump the contacts) to open the cold idle advance which will rapidly purge air from the IP and then you can have an instant start when you crank. In either event, mechanical or electric, getting fuel to the schrader and then to the IP by venting the air will help significantly.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i ran it completely empty. coasted for quite a ways trying to figure out why it wasnt responding to anything. coasted to a stop and made a phone call for several minutes til i decided to switch to the rear tank. it started after just maybe 5 seconds of cranking. i was quite relieved about that! even though i was half a mile from home... so exactly how much does the timing advance when the pump runs dry? if optimum timing is 9.5 BTD can it advance that much more and still run?? and why is it ******* glow plugs and such??

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That timing is good because you get good power, fuel economy is good, and parts dont wear out. If you go to far advanced you will get increadible power, not sure on fuel economy though I think it would go down some, but engine parts would hate it. It has been reported that running to far advanced timing will actually eat your glow plugs away, basically taking the tips off. Dont know if its true.

My truck has done the same thing also. Its pretty crazy how much power it has, its like a new truck, pun-intended. Makes you wonder how far advanced the pump goes. I know some cummins guys run like 22* advanced, wonder if its that high? But then again the motor doesnt sound like its running that far advanced.

big rig

Reaction score
Hello 91f2504x4

Hello my friend, I just bought a 92' f-350 cc, 4x2 dually. Where can I get a good and cheap turbo for my truck? Its a 7.3 idi non-turbo diesel engine. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
BIGRIG

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey BigRig.....your topic really deserves it's own thread, although bumping this one was pretty cool. Good and cheap turbo might be hard to come by. Depends a lot on how much you can/want to fabricate stuff and if you know anything about how to size a turbo. If you need a plug and play system you're down to ATS, Hypermax and Banks. New, the Hypermax is just under 2 grand, and they are great folks to work with and still actually interested in IDI performance. ATS and Banks have moved on but still have kits on hand, the ATS is just over 2000 but it is often back order and ATS can be a real pain in the rear end company to deal with, some have had great luck with them others use their name as a cuss word. Banks is what it is. Good quality products, overprices, complete kit from stem to stern, almost 3 grand. Unfortunately they use a proprietary design on some of their turbos and runniung down generic parts is not easy if even possible. Beyond that you could find a used kit on ebay or craigslist or from a junkyard. Let the buyer beware you can steal one cheap or cost yourself as much as a new kit if you get a real chewed system and have to order rare parts or fabricate them. Speaking of fabrication if you are or know someone who is good at detailed metal fabrication and you or someone you know is an excellent welder and just knows how things go together a custom turbo setup may be for you. Here there are many options and not enough room to talk about it all, but you must size the turbo to the engine properly, this is especially important in a non wastegated application since a too large turbo will lag like crazy and blow the moor to bits if you get enough fuel to it, and a too small turbo will be safe but boost will be unimpressive even at full fuel. Typ4 and FordGuy100 know a lot about turbos. Typ4 has a lot of real world experience and occasionally rebuilds turbos for guys here. Fordguy is great at math and design and knows compressor maps. We have other guys here that know this stuff too, unfortunately I'm not one of them and have much to learn. I went with a used ATS 088 non gated kit from ebay. I paid 860 for it, not bad, but I had to have it rebuilt including a new compressor wheel. Say what you will about Ken at DPS but he did a nice job for a competitive price, he just held my turbo for months longer than I wanted him to.......and was as tough to contact as his reputation would suggest. I scared up some factory and some custom parts to round out my almost complete kit and 10 months and about 1500 later I was running turbocharged.

big rig

Reaction score
THANK YOU my friend

THANK YOU very much!!! I just bought my truck and I love the ROARRR of my Diesel. Many people hate it and say it's too noisy, but everybody has to turn their heads everytime I get next to them at the red light thinking it's a 18 wheeler or something like that and I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks again for the info, I will try to get to Typ4 and Fordguy so they can help me a little more. One more thing, besides the turbo question, I am getting terrible milleage on my truck. I am getting about 10 to 12 miles per gallon on an empty truck, no pulling!!! Some members tell me is the injectors that are leaking and I Need to put the fuel pump on timing? What do you think?
Hope to hear from you soon,
Thanks,
BIGRIG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online