MAJOR Oil consumption

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just completed 900 miles on a trip to pickup a car out in Chicago. I took the 93 in my signature. This truck has a major oil consumption issue. It burned about 8 or 9 gallons of oil on this trip. That is right 8 or 9 gallons. I lost count of how much oil we put in it. I would stop every 100-150 miles and easily put in a gallon. The truck ran fine and pulled decent mileage otherwise. On the way out with an empty trailer it pulled 16 or so MPG. On the way home with the car it got 13MPG. The car and trailer probably weigh in at 6,000lbs. I knew it burned oil and was hoping it would lessen after I got a decent fuel system on it, but it doesn't appear it did. I was also hoping that a road trip with some weight behind it would help. It has to be burning the oil also as it doesn't leave puddles anywhere. It's nice and dry underneath.

As I plan to plow with this truck I'm going to nurse it through the winter then next summer I'll pull the motor to rebuild it and fix the oil consumption issue.

Well I'm off to checkout the thread on 55 gallon oil drums!

Here's a picture of what I was hauling. A Rust and Termite infested 50 ford *****.
You must be registered for see images attach

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya thats a lot of oil! What could cause that much consumption w/o it running bad? Mine uses a qt in around 800 miles which I understand is not uncommon.

I also understand that some brands tend to burn more in our trucks but not a gallon every 150 miles.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I just completed 900 miles on a trip to pickup a car out in Chicago. I took the 93 in my signature. This truck has a major oil consumption issue. It burned about 8 or 9 gallons of oil on this trip. That is right 8 or 9 gallons. I lost count of how much oil we put in it. I would stop every 100-150 miles and easily put in a gallon. The truck ran fine and pulled decent mileage otherwise. On the way out with an empty trailer it pulled 16 or so MPG. On the way home with the car it got 13MPG. The car and trailer probably weigh in at 6,000lbs. I knew it burned oil and was hoping it would lessen after I got a decent fuel system on it, but it doesn't appear it did. I was also hoping that a road trip with some weight behind it would help. It has to be burning the oil also as it doesn't leave puddles anywhere. It's nice and dry underneath.

As I plan to plow with this truck I'm going to nurse it through the winter then next summer I'll pull the motor to rebuild it and fix the oil consumption issue.

Well I'm off to checkout the thread on 55 gallon oil drums!

Here's a picture of what I was hauling. A Rust and Termite infested 50 ford *****.
You must be registered for see images attach

many on here,,swear buy autorx!! say it will stop the oil burning,,unless something major is wrong..

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new cdr. I might try autorx still. The truck does run pretty good. Little rough at idle once warm but nothing crazy.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new cdr. I might try autorx still. The truck does run pretty good. Little rough at idle once warm but nothing crazy.

When my engine started burning oil really bad I checked the cdr and it was good so I put a can of auto restore (which comes in a silver can) and now there is just a very little burn which comes with these engines. I recommend the auto restore very highly.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you get a chance to do a compression check??
I've got a lot of blowby & oil usage also.
My passenger side, rear cylinders 5 & 7 have low compression compared to the others.
So I'm gonna pull the passenger side head, and hopefully no cracked pistons, just worn rings.:dunno

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run synthetic rotella 520, and I never find myself losing any.....although I aded about a jug after I did the cooler

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I would have done a full compression test, but haven't yet. I did do several cylinders and they were good. I was using Rotella T in it like I always did in my crewcab, but since it's using it like diesel I've been buying the cheapest 15-40 I can now. It's like Lube force or something from the local farm store. I'm going to probably play with some miracles in a can like Restore, Lucas, or AutoRX. I'm not expecting much from the miracle in a bottle, but it's cheaper and easier than a rebuild if they work.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a bad sel in the turbo thats about the only thing i cn think of that would cause that kinda oil use
Good call!I had not thought of that. I bet that the intake plumbing is coated with oil.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the turbo. How would I tell if it's a bad seal in the turbo? The intake side of the turbo is definitely oily when I check it. I've assumed the oil is from the cdr tube as it hooks to the intake tubing before the turbo. I have pulled the cap off the oil fill and there does seem to be a lot of blowby I probably need to suck it up and do a compression test on every cylinder.

Last edited: