MAJOR failure

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I was driving the old Louisville for the last run of the day...everything was going flawless...no issues at ALL!!!

I pull off the main highway, pull through 3 round-abouts...and onto the site. I back in, dump the load off and pull back out to turn around...then the day went south!

The power steering let out a REALLY loud moan...then the steering was so hard to steer it was UNREAL. I though, great I blew a line.

I shut the truck down, opened the hood...no fluid on the ground. It's a direct drive gear driven pump that runs off the timing gears....(3406B cat) and there is no belt to come flying off.

Next I checked the fluid....I checked it 2 runs earlier and it was full....and it was still at the top of the dipstick.

That is the only two things I can check on teh side of the road with no tools...so I call the wrecker.

We get her back to the shop...and I take the poump off...tear it all apart, clean it, and put it back together...it looked fine.

NO WAY would it steer!!!

I took the box off, and took it to the vice...it checked out, and the assist ram on the passenger side checked out.

Anyways, I put another pump on and all is well.

The piont of this whole thing is this...if that pump decided ti die 5 minures earlier, or later...I would NOT be sitting here right now...I would have been on the highway doing 65 MPH. With all the turns in the highway, and no steering,...I would have ran into the trees, center concrete barrier or god knows who in a car.....Thank GOD it happened when and where it did!!

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving the old Louisville for the last run of the day...everything was going flawless...no issues at ALL!!!

I pull off the main highway, pull through 3 round-abouts...and onto the site. I back in, dump the load off and pull back out to turn around...then the day went south!

The power steering let out a REALLY loud moan...then the steering was so hard to steer it was UNREAL. I though, great I blew a line.

I shut the truck down, opened the hood...no fluid on the ground. It's a direct drive gear driven pump that runs off the timing gears....(3406B cat) and there is no belt to come flying off.

Next I checked the fluid....I checked it 2 runs earlier and it was full....and it was still at the top of the dipstick.

That is the only two things I can check on teh side of the road with no tools...so I call the wrecker.

We get her back to the shop...and I take the poump off...tear it all apart, clean it, and put it back together...it looked fine.

NO WAY would it steer!!!

I took the box off, and took it to the vice...it checked out, and the assist ram on the passenger side checked out.

Anyways, I put another pump on and all is well.

The piont of this whole thing is this...if that pump decided ti die 5 minures earlier, or later...I would NOT be sitting here right now...I would have been on the highway doing 65 MPH. With all the turns in the highway, and no steering,...I would have ran into the trees, center concrete barrier or god knows who in a car.....Thank GOD it happened when and where it did!!

I think that last line says it all!

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kinda think your freakin yourself out over nothing...at 65mph i bet youd be able to turn. be hard but its nothing like when your sittin still

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
kinda think your freakin yourself out over nothing...at 65mph i bet youd be able to turn. be hard but its nothing like when your sittin still

No chance of it turning at ALL when she let go. We jacked it up at the shop and tried to turn the wheels....pieces of the pump came apart and went through the steering box jamming it up completly!!!! We replaced the pump and had to put a box on it a couple days after.....then another pump.....that first pump came apart COMPLETELY!!!