Mag Hytec=Poor Customer Service...

DEZLPWR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Mag Hytec diff cover for my front Dana 60 when it first came out back in April of 2002. Fast forward to about a month ago...
I went to change my diff fluid and I could not budge the drain plug. :mad: In the process of trying to break it loose, we ended up twisting two different allen wrenches like pretzels. (Both were high quality, and one was a Craftsman on a socket)
Long story short, we ended up having to remove the whole front cover which required also removing the tie rod. What a PITA! :mad: I paid big money (over $240) for this cover, in large part, because of the drain plug/ease of service, and I ended up having to remove it like the stock cover. Not good.
Also, the drain plug was already installed in the cover when I purchased it new, so it was never removed until I tried to.

I had heard about the excellent customer provided by the owner Jerry @ Mag Hytec, so I figured I'd give him a call, and he would take care of me. Not!

I told him all that we went
through with the stuck plug, and he just
matter-of-factly stated that it must have been put on
a little tight from the factory. He said try breaking
it loose with a centerpunch & maybe some heat. I
mentioned using an impact, and he said that may work
as well. Never an apology, and he even said that I
may want to order a new drain plug in case I damage
the existing one, and that they cost $20!
Needless to say, I was not very happy with his response. At the BARE MINIMUM, he should have offered to send me a new drain plug FOR FREE. :rolleyes:

Just thought that I'd pass on my dissapointing experience in dealing with Mag Hytec, and warn you that if you order a new Mag Hytec, make sure that you check the drain plug BEFORE you install the cover. Apparently they use Ivan the Gorilla to tighten them sometimes, (WAY beyond the 30 inch/lbs. spec!)and you don't want to go through what I have had to.... ;)

:frustrate :frustrate :frustrate :frustrate

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just courious... But being alum.... would salt or road chemicals bind it up... Kinda weld it in there.... Also, it would be a good idea to teflon tape the outside threads that contact the cover? Just some thoughts for those who can still get thier plugs out.... Man that sucks....

DEZLPWR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update....

Piers will be taking care of me, because he is AWESOME!!! :D
Thanks, Piers! First class, all the way.... :hail :hail :hail :hail

B

Big K

Originally posted by ISurvivedNMU
Just courious... But being alum.... would salt or road chemicals bind it up... Kinda weld it in there.... Also, it would be a good idea to teflon tape the outside threads that contact the cover? Just some thoughts for those who can still get thier plugs out.... Man that sucks....

In this case, no. Plug is similar to a flange bolt, with the o-ring next to the flange. Thread area runs wet, and is sealed from outside influence.

This is a well made product, but I am disappointed to hear this. The plug was in really tight. I know, I was there on the end of the wrench. Didn't want to horse it, 'cause we didn't have a spare 60 cover here.

Sounds like Steve has a new plug coming. When we have it, I WILL get the existing one out. It will prolly come out undamaged, but we like to be prepared.

DEZLPWR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big K

Sounds like Steve has a new plug coming. When we have it, I WILL get the existing one out. It will prolly come out undamaged, but we like to be prepared.

You are correct, sir... ;) A new plug is on the way. I have no doubt in my mind, that when the time comes, with your shop capabilities, we WILL get it out of there... :D
Piers even offered to send a new diff cover, but I told him that it shouldn't be necessary as long as we have a new plug on hand... :cool

B

Big K

That is correct, but we will have a stock steel cover here, also. Just in case. ;)

DEZLPWR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big K
That is correct, but we will have a stock steel cover here, also. Just in case. ;)

hehehe, don't scare me like that.... LOL We won't be needing that stock steel cover! ;)

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put my rear cover on, I removed the plugs and re-installed @ rated torque - I recomend this to everyone. I'll keep the steel front cover...

BigSix

Reaction score
$240 for a differential cover???:eek:
That's outrageous. BIG time outrageous!!!
Did you get a kiss with that?:love:
Ouch! Yes they definately should have sent you a new plug. How much can it possibly cost to cast and finish a friggin' differential cover? These aftermarket companies are screwing us big time. I think I'll go out and rub a shine in my stock steel cover.:D

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
The inventor and founder of Mag-Hytec died last year, wonder if the new management many be the source of your service problems.

Got Juice?

Stack Daddy
Reaction score
Re: Update....

Originally posted by DEZLPWR
Piers will be taking care of me, because he is AWESOME!!! :D
Thanks, Piers! First class, all the way.... :hail :hail :hail :hail

YES! Piers is a good person.
Basic business 101...take care of your clients and they will take care of you.
Piers knows the value of a dollar too!

CHarlan

Reaction score
Also, Take Care of your clients, and they will send more clients your way! Piers, and the rest of the PDR Team are second to none!!!!