Lurching?

saudimack

Reaction score
My 2004 F250 has been "lurching" I guess you could say. It has 60k miles on it and it is straight piped. This is a new thing, only started about a week or so ago?
I really only notice it when Im going really slow speeds (like under 15mph). But its got me really concerned.
I really need an oil change. I am 500 miles over my due date. But I am going to get that done in the next week. I also think I may need a new air filter? Would that have anything to do with it?
Ive had a few friends say it may be dirty injectors? So I bought a thing of Diesel Kleen and put the whole bottle in it. I havent really noticed a change tho.
Any ideas what might be going on?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be fuel filters, how many miles are on them? Could be a plugged EGR Valve, it may even be sticking veins in the turbo, but I doubt that.....

DO you have a chip/programmer/tuner/mods done to this truck?

saudimack

Reaction score
I have no idea how many miles are on the fuel filters. When are those suppose to be changed?

Everything is stock other than it being straight piped.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The need to be changed every 10k miles..... 15k at the maximum....

I would change the fuel filters NOW and see if it clears up......

The Air Filters can hold alot of stuff.... like 3 lbs of dirt.... so it may or may not need replaced. Has the light came on or is the filter minder saying it needs changed.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the fuel filters. Make them a religious event in the future. Just as important as oil changes on these trucks. Use either the Ford or International fuel filters. Same part but International is much cheaper.

saudimack

Reaction score
I know I've put atleast 10k miles in the last year on the truck, but I have a thing with the local Ford Dealer where I have lifetime free oil changes, but Im not sure what else they do on the truck while its in there. Would they change the filters if it looked like they needed to be changed?
I made an appt. for Tuesday, so hopefully they can figure it out!

saudimack

Reaction score
So the dealer said its the EGR Valve. He said I can replace it for the sum of $650 there. Ouch. But he also said diesels really dont need them but they are required to sell them that way.
So what is your best opinion? Should I get it replaced (to only replace it in 50,000 more miles)? Or should I get an EGR delete kit?
Would the delete kit void any warranty I might have on the truck?

Also- I replaced the fuel and air filters for a "just in case". Truck still lurches anyhow. It actually even died on me the other day. It like hiccuped and killed itself. :( but it started up just fine and away we went...

ETA: I want to say I have an extended warranty but Im not sure of the details of it? But in that case, if I have a warranty, I should definitely just have it replaced? And by the dealer for sure?
If I dont have a warranty, what would be the best for this truck? I haul horses a lot so I dont want to damage the truck or the reliability of it.

I just dont know too much about this subject, nor what would be best for the vehicle and my situation.

Thank you :)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You can remove and clean the EGR Valve. There is an O-Ring kit you can get from the dealer. My dealer said it was about $7. I would look into that.

What are your driving habits? Alot of slow stop and go, alot of ideling?

A 6.0 does not like extended ideling. More that 5 minutes is considered long. Also, just puttering around in town can cause things to plug. When I drive mine, I make sure to "get on it" at least once a week. When it has not been driven much, the first time I get on the interstate, I wind it out on the ramp and it will usually leave a haze behind me. After that, it runs better, and does not hase. I have almost 99K on mine, and have driven it this way since I bought it and have not had to clean the EGR or the Turbo. I always run good quality diesel and throw some Diesel-Klean at it most of the time. I think alot of the issues with the turbo and the EGR is how you drive it.

saudimack

Reaction score
Well its been my daily driver, and I've always been "nice" to it just because it does haul my horses and its my only vehicle when Im at school. I didnt learn to get on it until about a couple weeks ago after reading some posts on another Ford Forum to help "clear things out". So now I do that once in a while...
I try to stick with brand name gas station diesels, but Ive been in situations where I had to put in off brand station diesel and my truck usually lets me know when it doesnt like it.

Last edited:

saudimack

Reaction score
Well I tried to take it out and clean it myself, but my dad just didnt have the right tools in his garage so I called up one of my friends that works at the ford dealer and he took it out and cleaned it in like 10mins after work. He made it look so easy!
So hopefully this cures the problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online