LSD Fuel question???

ajd257

Reaction score
So, with this new and "improved" :backoff fuel @ all the pumps now, Do I need to be running some sort of an additive so my IP or other parts dont die at an early age?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've ben told yes and no.:confused:
Here is a little bit of info.

On the same page.....
A small number of vehicles may require preventative maintenance in the form of upgrading certain engine and fuel system seals that may not perform well in the transition to the new fuel and could leak. Studies of test fleets have indicated that fuel system leaks are not exclusive to a particular engine type, fuel type or geographic region. It is anticipated that only a small fraction of the vehicles will be affected."

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically, you would have been wise to be running an additive all along. The diesel fuel of even recent years was not what our engines were designed to burn. The sulfer content back in the 80's was much higher.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I hate to kick a dead horse, BUT all this is coming from guys that are running WMO!:rotflmao
These trucks will burn just about any petroleum/oil. Whether one is better than the other might be of question but in the end stuff is gonna wear out and fail no matter what. Any dirt or water that get in the fuel probably have more of an ill effect on the fuel components than the fuel itself.
To answer your question about additive and ULSD I dont believe it is necessary for our trucks, it might help lube things but there has to be something in the fuel for lubrication in place of the sulfer that was taken out. Most likely in the future all diesel fuel will have at least 1-2% biodiesel for lubrication. This small amount would far exceed the lubrication specifications of our engines.

TO sum this up: Don't worry about it! IF the fuel is good enough for the new computer engines then it should be more than good enough for our old hogs!

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I firmly believe the only thing that running a additive in your fuel does is reward the stockholders in the companies that market the stuff.

Jim

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
my kinda long 2 cents

Ron, some other quotes from that same page:
S15, S500, and S5000 are designations for diesel fuels that meet 15 ppm, 500 ppm, and 5,000 ppm maximum sulfur content,
Anyone know when S5000 used to be used.....onroad?? I don't know.

# Lubricity:Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear.The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel.
# Energy Content:In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also reduces the aromatics content and density of diesel fuel, resulting in a reduction in energy content (BTU/gal).
# The expected reduction in energy content is on the order of 1% and may affect fuel mileage.
* Cetane Number:In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15ppm also reduces the aromatics content resulting in an increase to the cetane number.
I would think reducing "aromatic content would lower cetane #, (maybe I'm thinking backwards) & I thought that higher cetane numbers = higher BTU/power??? #2 is higher cetane/BTU than #1....
If RUG (lower octane) is added to fuel the cetane remains higher. If super is added (higher octane) the cetane drops.
& I DO know every fuel fill-up does not run the same anymore, & I run all sorts of "additives" for various reasons.

My 2 cents....It's good & well that the world gets cleaned up for our old age years, our kids & grandkids.
While it's getting cleaned up we, (the public) get to pay for all these mechanical upgrades, lost power, early worn out gismoes, fuel additives to add back what is taken out, etc,etc.
I think society is gearing up more & more toward "throw away engines & vehicles," & I do think the fuel additive co's. as well as all the aftermarket co's. making & selling are making tons of $$.

If a person can get MSDS sheet on all these additives, & understand them, it's unreal what's really in a lot of them....some simple, somewhat common stuff.
(Mothballs, MEK, acetone, varasol, lots of other nasty, narrley cancer causing things, maybe even Ivory or Palmolive soap) & none of which I even begin to understand.

I've cleaned my act up lots thru the years: I don't burn my worn out tires anymore....just dump 'em by night in the ditches or behind the tire store (haha, just kidding)
I carry batteries & antifreeze to recycle.
I don't dump WMO on the driveway to settle the dust....I burn it thru the fuel.
& I will run anything thru the fuel that will make it thru the filters & burn...WMO, WVO, hot tar scrapped off the pavement on a hot day:D , but I won't admit to any of this because the Tax man may be watching.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly the decision to run an additive or not is a personal one. While it's true that I do run WMO in one of my 3 trucks, I keep the fuel as pure and ideal as possible in the other two. Perhaps in my own way to seek the truth. However, conventional wisdom (meaning the sum of what you might read, popular opionion, statistics, etc) dictate that you should run an additive in regular diesel fuel. Having had an IDI for 23 years, I can tell you that I did NOT run any additives on my brand new truck, and I ate an injection pump within the first 5 years, just out of warranty. When the second pump went on, it was suggested I run an additive, so I started using Avex in it. That pump lost an input shaft seal and dumped fuel in my crankcase. Avex I was told, was ******* rubber parts. On the third pump, I switched to Howes, and have not needed a pump since. The third pump has outlived the other 2 by a large margin.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Mel,
I am assuming that the "Moose Truck" is not a daily driver.........So has the pump using Howes outlived the others in milage or just years? Just curious.
Also your second pump is a good example of additive actually decreasing the life of the pump.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be both. The Moose Truck was never a daily driver, but it did get used a fair amount prior to 2001. You'll notice that Avex is not on the shelves anymore.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I very rarely have ever run an additive in my trucks, and never have had any problems. I have a friend who puts on in excess of 3000 hours a year on his IDI(The thing runs 24/7 once it gets below 20 below...) and has never ever used an additive, without any problems, The truck is an 87, and he's on the second IP... On the second engine....
But, some recent reading in Truck News brought to light the fact that fuel lubricity standards are quite a bit higher and subject to tighter regulation in Canada than the US, which I found kind of odd.

FWIW, fuel at the pumps here had to be 100% switched over to ULSD as of the 15th of this month, and unlike the US, regular LSD has ceased to be avalable for on highway use.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
it was mentioned off and on in some of the posts in this thread, but if there is any question about the lubricity of the fuel, i would recommend adding a couple gallons of either biodiesel or cold weather permiting, toss a couple gallons of straight new veggie oil in there. I ran bio for months before i sold my truck and it did great on the stuff. only had one complaint about the way it smelt, and that was from Towcat, but i really cant blame him, as he had just taken a bath in it changing my fuel pump out for me :-D.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Biodiesel is the cheapest and best thing to add to diesel fuel to enhance the lubricity of ULSD. Just adding 1-2% increases lubricity of the fuel by 65% and at that low concentration biodiesel can be run all winter long.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Yes I agree that it is a personal opinion as to add or not to add. It is you choice given the information available.... Heck google ULSD sometime when you are bored.:puke:
Even tho the API says there is a lubricity requirement, I still have a hard time not wanting to put in an additive in as a precaution.
Yes it is my truck and a daily driver.;Sweet
I would love to use BIO given the enviro-friendly properties, but some areas of the country are just not putting that option available to the public at the pumps yet.cookoo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was mentioned off and on in some of the posts in this thread, but if there is any question about the lubricity of the fuel, i would recommend adding a couple gallons of either biodiesel or cold weather permiting, toss a couple gallons of straight new veggie oil in there. I ran bio for months before i sold my truck and it did great on the stuff. only had one complaint about the way it smelt, and that was from Towcat, but i really cant blame him, as he had just taken a bath in it changing my fuel pump out for me :-D.
let me tell you guys this much... I don't care how well they refine the stuff, the **** still soaks into your skin and clothes and make you reek like french fry oil-cuss

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
let me tell you guys this much... I don't care how well they refine the stuff, the **** still soaks into your skin and clothes and make you reek like french fry oil-cuss

The cats were prolly usin ya like a lollipop too.LOL

I have been suffering a similar fate while collecting veggie for the refining process this winter to build some supply.:puke:

That will be my lubricity additive.:D ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk