Low pressure coolant leak; bar stop leak?

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can I use bar stop leak without flushing the cooling system? The radiator is very scaly. If the bars stop leak works, will ceramic coding ceal it pretty permenatly?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to follow the directions which probably suggest to drain the entire cooling system. I think the Bars' Pellets are recommended for these trucks.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same, bone-dry while running but shut her off and she'll make a small puddle overnight - had a bottle of Bars pellets in there and all was good till I had to run her hard (towcat style, 34-3500 rpms for quite a few miles), now she seeps again... I priced radiators, and man those are expensive! So for now I live with the Bars treatment and put a small catch pan under the radiator whenever I park her.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately a head gasket leak, front lower corner of the passenger side head gasket. I'm really hoping Bars will take care of it. No signs of it being a high pressure coolant leak, so I'm hoping it can be fixed without new head gaskets since I don't have a garage and winter is on the way.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While many will preach against it, I always kept the pelleted BARS-LEAK in my old 6.9 and never had a coolant leak.

When I first got the truck, it was nearly new and already had the notorious right-side rear-corner head-gasket leak.

It kept the rear corner of the engine coated with green dripping anti-freeze and left a puddle wherever parked.

Also, I constantly was plagued with that sickening sweetish smell of anti-freeze in the cab.

I made my living in this truck and was often in it for days on end.

I didn't drain anything, I just shook up TWO of the big truck-sized bottles of pelleted BARS-LEAK and dumped them in the radiator.

By the next day, the leak was gone.

About once a year, I dumped in another bottle, and never ever had another leak, and the heads have NEVER been off of that engine.

500,000-miles and the original water-pump is also still on that engine.

Beware, though, and NEVER put BARS-LEAK in any of those little anemic radiators on some of the later-model vehicles, as it will do it's job and stop up the cores in the radiator.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the Bars Pellets, it says to flush the system if its dirty. The anti freeze is clean, only a year old, but the radiator is full of scale. It needs to be done anyways. Whats the best coolant system flush you can buy from CarQuest, Napa etc, I need to pick it up after work today.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the best coolant system flush you can buy from CarQuest, Napa etc, I need to pick it up after work today.

I've used pretty much all kinds/brands of the stuff and can't see that it does any better than a plain old water-hose.

If your radiator is that scaly, just go to Advance and get a new Ready-Rad for about $375; a new one won't have scale for a few years.